Beretta A400 Xplor 28ga shotgun

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
UPEgger

Beretta A400 Xplor 28ga shotgun

Post by UPEgger »

I am seriously thinking about purchasing one of A400 shotguns in 28ga. My question is: How far does this shotgun toss the empties? Anyone have any experience with this model of Beretta? The only 28ga shotgun, I have owned, that pretty much dumped the empties within 4 or 5 ft consistently was a Rem 11-48. The others, such as the 1100 and such really threw them out there. My AL391 Urika 12 ga Beretta tosses them only about 4 to 5ft. But for some reason 28ga semi autos get worked up about throwing the empties a great distance. Carl L.
UPEgger

Re: Beretta A400 Xplor 28ga shotgun

Post by UPEgger »

The 28ga question is now a non event. Stopped in a Cabela's (Mitchell, SD) and purchased the 12ga and 20ga Beretta Xplor Action 28" bbl. Shot the 12ga today, at skeet, using factory 1 1/8oz 3dram loads. Between the Kickoff and the gas cycling system, recoil just does not seem to exist. On round three I shot some of my 7/8oz reloads. Cycled those flawlessly. A friend of mine is shooting 3/4 oz loads in his Win auto. I tried some of those and they also cycled flawlessly. Am I happy with the gun?....You bet. Next week I will try out the 20ga A400. Carl L.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Great when a plan comes together. I am not sure why berettas don't get much play here. I don't own one but hear very good things about them.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Johndoe wrote:Great when a plan comes together. I am not sure why berettas don't get much play here. I don't own one but hear very good things about them.
Yep JD, I've never had any in small gauges, but I have three 12s, all autos. Very high quality, lightweight, great shooting and functioning guns.
Pretty sure Wes loves his lightweight double also!! :mrgreen:
UPEgger

Post by UPEgger »

Some plans never end. I lost control of my "plastic" and ended up in Yuma, AZ. I purchased a Beretta A400 Xplor Action 28ga 28" bbl. Just lost control I guess.... lol. It was the TSS aspect that tipped the scale in favor of the 28ga. Now I have A400s in 12, 20, and 28ga. I hope they do not come out with a 410. I could go broke. Carl L.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Holy crap man change your user handle to A400.. LOL

Beretta have a solid reputation amongst waterfowlers and I have not seen one negative on the A400.
pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pullit »

Tell me about the 20 ga, as I am thinking of buying one of those before next year. The web site says it tips the scales at 6 lbs, does it really?
Also from what I have read some of the first 20's had issues with feeding, I hope they got that worked out.
Thanks
John
I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have no need for a 30-06, I have a shotgun
UPEgger

Post by UPEgger »

John; I believe 6lbs for the A400 20ga is about right. The A400 12ga is closer to 7 lbs. Of the three, now that I have shot all three, the 12 ga is my favorite. It will handle 3/4oz to 1 1/8oz loads flawlessly. I have not tried any heavier 12ga loads yet. The 20ga A400 should cover this same range without a hiccup. I guess it all depends on what type of gauges you are set up to load for, or ???.

I have about 2000 loaded rds of 20ga from the 80s. All Win CF AA 7/8oz #9. I just hate to shoot them in an auto because of the distance they "fling" the empties. For actual hunting though, who cares?

I also have a Beretta 390 in 20ga. I already prefer the A400 20ga over the 390 model.

Carl L.
pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pullit »

I use to shoot skeet a lot and have lots of 7/8 oz #9 in the old AA hulls as well as the new Rem STS hulls.
Does your 20 have the kick off system or not? I am thinking of going with the 26" barrel as this will be more of a hunting gun than target gun as I already have the target gun covered.
Did you have any issues with the 20 or the 28 as far as function goes?
John
I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have no need for a 30-06, I have a shotgun
UPEgger

Post by UPEgger »

John; My A400 20ga does have the kickoff. It also has the plastic "do dad" on the bottom of the stock wrist. A small computer that measures various items, such as shots, total shots, etc can be put in place. I believe the only model that will not have the KickOff system is the 28ga.

Oddly enough the A400s come with three screw in chokes: Cylinder, Modified and Full. Personally I would have preferred the Improved Cylinder vice the Cyl choke tube. All gauges have the same three choke sizes.

I started off with some of the old 7/8oz #9 CFAA target loads. No function problems. I have NOT had any function problems with any of the three A400s I now have.

Zero problems in any area. Now the 28ga, when I am on station l and shoot, if someone is on station 2 he is liable to get hurt by a 28ga empty. That puppy really ejects empties. The 20 throws empties about 13 to 15 ft.

If you want to change the caston/off/drop washers there is something to be aware of. The butt pad comes off with two phillips head bolts. In the hole occupied(it is a brass insert) by the phillips head bolts are two T15 Torx head screws. I have not found a T15 torx driver that will fit in the brass insert hole. I purchased the single screw driver T15 and found it is too large. I guess the answer is to grind down the shaft diameter of the T15 torx driver and go from there. Beretta has a video showing how to change the cast/drop and remove and replace the KO system.
Carl L.

Return to “Small Bore”