Looking at 28ga shotguns

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
DocHolliday

Re: Looking at 28ga shotguns

Post by DocHolliday »

Love the CZ Bobwhite. Double barrel double trigger only way to go. I shoot sxs and o/u. The sxs are a little easier for me to regulate when setting up a turkey gun. For a dual purpose gun the sight plane will work itself out in about half a box of shells on skeet or clays. Best thing I can say about the CZ is the quality for the price and choke tubes.
NRA Benefactor Life Member
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Doc, refresh my memory on your Bobwhite. Sights? Chokes? Gil
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

GLS:
Fiber optic rifle sights front and rear drilled tapped into mid rib. Chokes are Biley .030 and stock Imp Cyl. I am waiting for some Trulock chokes.
gaswamp

Post by gaswamp »

forgive me for changing the topic...Doc, tell us about your Farmer trumpet?
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

ga:
That one is "Lil' Black Sambo". Made from a special piece of African Blackwood and ivory. Made by my friend Zach a few years back. He has collected a few scalps and is a constant companion in the turkey woods.
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

Doc, why do you find that SxS's are easier to set up than O/U's for turkey guns? I've said it before, but that is one purdy little turkey rig. I love your Bobwhite, too. At what distances are you comfortable shooting the IC? What kind of #'s do you get with it?
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

I've set up 3 O/U's as turkey guns a Ruger Red Label, a CZ Canvasback, and a CZ Mallard. All three when adjusted to shoot "on" at 40 in the top bbl, shot the bottom bbl 6-8" low. So, a normal "wattle" shot would be a low body or high leg shot. I have been unable to change this without a non-concentric choketube. These tubes are a crapshoot, some work some dont. I've set up at least 10 sxs's for turkey guns and have not had the Left to Right issues in any but one gun. Unfortunately, it was a relatively highend Beretta!?!@#$@!

In the 20's, I'm confident to beyond 30 yds w/close bbl-mult kills from mult guns by multiple hunters (kids included). Numbers w/#9 Hevi are well over 200 in 20" @ 30. I tell them and myself keep it within 20 but have at least a 10 yd safety margin for errors in distance judgement.

In the 28's, I'm a little stricter on the close range just because of the decreased payload. with 9 Hevi (1oz) numbers are well over 150 at 20 yds. With the 9 TSS, I've killed at 53 yds w/the 28!

BTW that is the 28 Bobwhite on the tailgate.
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

Gotcha.
gaswamp

Post by gaswamp »

DocHolliday wrote:ga:
That one is "Lil' Black Sambo". Made from a special piece of African Blackwood and ivory. Made by my friend Zach a few years back. He has collected a few scalps and is a constant companion in the turkey woods.

very nice...started to get on his list around 2008. But thought the wait time to long.
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

Man, you woulda had one by now!
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

DocHolliday wrote:I've set up 3 O/U's as turkey guns a Ruger Red Label, a CZ Canvasback, and a CZ Mallard. All three when adjusted to shoot "on" at 40 in the top bbl, shot the bottom bbl 6-8" low. So, a normal "wattle" shot would be a low body or high leg shot. I have been unable to change this without a non-concentric choketube. These tubes are a crapshoot, some work some dont. I've set up at least 10 sxs's for turkey guns and have not had the Left to Right issues in any but one gun. Unfortunately, it was a relatively highend Beretta!?!@#$@!

In the 20's, I'm confident to beyond 30 yds w/close bbl-mult kills from mult guns by multiple hunters (kids included). Numbers w/#9 Hevi are well over 200 in 20" @ 30. I tell them and myself keep it within 20 but have at least a 10 yd safety margin for errors in distance judgement.

In the 28's, I'm a little stricter on the close range just because of the decreased payload. with 9 Hevi (1oz) numbers are well over 150 at 20 yds. With the 9 TSS, I've killed at 53 yds w/the 28!

BTW that is the 28 Bobwhite on the tailgate.
What kind of poa/poi issues have you had with the sxs?
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

Pedro:
Outside of that one Beretta, very few. With the Marbles fiberoptic rifle sights I can set the left bbl for 40 yds and the right bbl is real close for 20.
gaswamp

Post by gaswamp »

DocHolliday wrote:Man, you woulda had one by now!
well I the time it was a 7 year wait which I thought might turn into 8. How many years did yours take?
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

Dont remember exactly but it was a long wait.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

DocHolliday wrote:I've set up 3 O/U's as turkey guns a Ruger Red Label, a CZ Canvasback, and a CZ Mallard. All three when adjusted to shoot "on" at 40 in the top bbl, shot the bottom bbl 6-8" low. So, a normal "wattle" shot would be a low body or high leg shot. I have been unable to change this without a non-concentric choketube. These tubes are a crapshoot, some work some dont. I've set up at least 10 sxs's for turkey guns and have not had the Left to Right issues in any but one gun. Unfortunately, it was a relatively highend Beretta!?!@#$@!
My CZ Woodcock's bottom barrel shoots about that much low at 40 yds. So, I use that barrel for close in shots and aim at his face.
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

That's what I've done w/ those who are shooting O/U's. Personally, I find it hard to do after so many yrs shooting wattles. But it does work.
jezzliam

Post by jezzliam »

DocHolliday wrote:Image

Love the CZ Bobwhite. Double barrel double trigger only way to go. I shoot sxs and o/u. The sxs are a little easier for me to regulate when setting up a turkey gun. For a dual purpose gun the sight plane will work itself out in about half a box of shells on skeet or clays. Best thing I can say about the CZ is the quality for the price and choke tubes.
That really cool. I think that is so awesome to use.
I don't have to be careful, I've got a gun. :D
Matt Groening cheap knives
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

Decided on getting an ithaca m37 26" bbl. did the paperwork the other day. Take it home tomorrow. Very nice and points like a dream. I see many a dead birds in its future.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Pete, I think you are going to love the gun. Did you go to Ohio to buy it or did you get it from a LGS??
The removable rib makes for some creative opportunities for mounting a red dot or rifle sights should you desire.
Here's my first bird, a snipe, with mine a handful of years ago:
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

A fine choice indeed.
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

Ordered it locally for less that the custom shop. I called ithaca and inquired about one made with a blank receiver and field grade wood. They were ok with the no engraving but only did grade a wood. The action on this gun when worked is very fluid.
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

What is the barrel length?
DocHolliday wrote:Image

Mike
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

26". Overall length w/extended (1") choke tubes and 1" recoil pad is just under 44" which makes it the same length as my Benelli w/21" bbl or my Remmy w/ 21" bbl.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Doc, that's a good point about the barrel lengths of single-action, O/U or SxS and gun overall length. An auto or pump requires a longer receiver whereas the other three types' actions are more compact. There's not much point in shortening a break-open action's barrel---unless one just wants to.
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

GLS:
Something we shotgunners don't think about much is velocity. Those extra 5" of bbl length equate to about 250 fps. So if my TSS loads are going about 1100 fps from a 26" bbl they'll be around 900 or less in a 21" tube. Might work, but seems slow.

Return to “Small Bore”