HW13 waterfowl

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

HW13 waterfowl

Post by pedro »

Finally got under some birds and put the HW to the test. Shot two mallards and four geese this weekend using my 20 ga loaded with HW 13 6s. The stuff killed them dead and really makes the 20 a formidable goose gun. Thanks to those who helped out.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (113.91 KiB) Viewed 3361 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (171.06 KiB) Viewed 3361 times
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: HW13 waterfowl

Post by Shooter »

No doubt Pete. This is the nastiest stuff I've ever used on waterfowl since I've been huntin,... outside of TSS anyways! My Waterfowl Bud, JRSeale uses it, and swears by it.
I'm only having two problems with it though. One, it is so hard, even a skeet choke is too tight for close quarter shooting in swamps. Perfect for pass shooting, and distances over 30yds though.

The other is Game Warden problems. They only carry a magnet to check your shells, and this stuff is non-magnetic.
I carry the sheet of paper, stating that it is FWS approved for hunting waterfowl, that came with the shot. I suggest you do the same.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Looking good Pete!
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Nice pix. Sounds like it really lights up that 20 ga.
HuntnMa
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HuntnMa »

Very cool :)
jrseale82

Post by jrseale82 »

This was my opening day using HW13. There was a group beside me that said after the hunt was over "I dont know what that boy was shooting beside me but he was knocking them down waaay up there." I finished a cripple off about 75 yards out stone dead. This stuff is the real deal for ducks since I cant afford TSS for everything!!

pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

Nice work jrseale. I shot some of the original Remington hevi when it first came out and it was bad ass. I have not yet shot a lot of HW but so far...in number sixes it hits them like a ton of bricks. It has it's place in my ammo lineup.
toasty

Post by toasty »

Nice job with HW13, you have to PM the load you ended up with. Looks like you've got it figured out.

I put down a goose and a bunch of ducks last weekend with the HW13 #6s as well. I was hesitant to shoot a 40 yard goose with it, but stone dead with 1 shot. It was a lesser, I probably wouldn't have tried it with the 12lb rocky mountain variety we usually shoot at.

Here is a pic of last weekend haul:

Been a good year for bands
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

John, It is good to hear from you. Where you been hiding??? Have not heard from you since May.
Whats with the Holy pants???,... The PD Swat team don't pay you enough???,...lol. :mrgreen:
Must have spent it all on TSS and HW! :lol: :lol:

Toasty,... Looks like you been having way too much fun!!!
You have had One Heckuva year so far with all the critters. Good thing you are a loader,... I don't think you could ever find enough shells in stores to keep up,...lol. :toothy7:
toasty

Post by toasty »

Shooter wrote: Good thing you are a loader,... I don't think you could ever find enough shells in stores to eep up,...lol. :toothy7:
Problem is I can't keep up with reloading for all the hunting I do, I'd much rather be in the woods or marsh than in my reloading room. I gave up reloading lead shot a couple years ago, just didn't make sense to spend my time reloading lead when I could buy a box for $5. Still reload all no tox and rifle shells, you just can't buy them like I can reload them.
tailfeathers

Post by tailfeathers »

Where are you guys getting HW13? I've been using HW15 #7 1oz load for ducks this year with an Improved Cylinder factory choke. 45-50 yards crushes the ducks...swamp woodies don't stand a chance as long as I let them get out a little first.
toasty

Post by toasty »

tailfeathers wrote:Where are you guys getting HW13? I've been using HW15 #7 1oz load for ducks this year with an Improved Cylinder factory choke. 45-50 yards crushes the ducks...swamp woodies don't stand a chance as long as I let them get out a little first.
Those are some nice woodies. You can get it at Bucks Run Sports, their website is horrible, give them a call at (507) 367-2413. I shoot HW15 #7 out of my 28ga at ducks and my experience is the same as yours, absolutely devastating on ducks to 50 yards. I hunted yesterday and brought down these ducks and geese with HW13 #6 in a 20ga. The big goose weighed 12.5lbs. he was about 30 yards when I hit him. The more I shoot it, the more I like it, very hard to go back to steel after shooting this stuff.
tailfeathers

Post by tailfeathers »

Thanks toasty, and nice pic. I can't imagine ever going back to steel. HS would be my bare minimum. Loaded a 1.25 oz of #6.5 HW15 I'm gonna try this weekend. :thumbup:

Return to “Small Bore”