Best 20

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
Jdw2920

Re: Best 20

Post by Jdw2920 »

So only semi auto 20s are having trouble with the tss?
Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

https://www.gobblernation.com/phpBB3/vi ... 18&t=20493

To answer the questions posed in this thread, I posted another thread and it is long.
Jdw2920

Post by Jdw2920 »

Jstocks wrote: April 19th, 2020, 2:36 pm https://www.gobblernation.com/phpBB3/vi ... 18&t=20493

To answer the questions posed in this thread, I posted another thread and it is long.
After reading this for sure makes me want to stick to inertia driven system thank you
Cbd21

Post by Cbd21 »

Gar Commander wrote: April 19th, 2020, 12:28 pm The 20 ga loads that use 300 MP powder are the 2 oz and 2 1/8 oz of shot . I have yet to load either, but me and others I know have had issues of the primers wanting to pop out of even 1 5/8 oz loads in 20 gauge semi autos,. At first I thought maybe excess pressure, but triple checked my loads and chronographed to exact recipe and don't think it is pressure, but maybe weak springs or resistance on the hull when fired in some semi autos. Loose primers have never happened in my pump or O/U with same loads. Have also heard of some semi auto 20's throwing the bolt handle out upon firing. Everybody thinks TSS is rough on the inside of the barrel, when in fact it may be rough on the internals of the guns.
There’s a 1 5/8oz that runs the 300MP as well.
va longbeard

Post by va longbeard »

if money is no object M2 compact all the way of the 10 dedicated turkey guns I own its my favorite by a wide margin.

Its light, quality built, short and compact and it shoots well.

As shown in the photo I have $1020 in the gun, $350 in the cerakote, dip and drill and tap and I believe $50 in the sumtoy base. I got a vortex venom mounted on the gun I got on sale and with a coupon from Cabelas for $150. Added a Indian creek 562 choke from a forum member for $65.

Roughly $1650 in the gun which is a performance center knockoff minus the $2900 price with a better sight and choke.
Attachments
m2 new.jpg
Jdw2920

Post by Jdw2920 »

Yea your m2 is awesome after talking with a member on here I actually think I am going to go the custom 28 gauge route have it dipped and all that be little more unique I really like the m2 but after buying the retay m2 small town I just can’t swallow spending 1600+ for another one right now
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

taylorjones20 wrote: April 19th, 2020, 11:14 am M2 gets my vote.
I’ll second that!!!!
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

I don’t shoot the MP300 loads, but I did put the heavy Wolf spring in my M2 when I made it my designated turkey gun. It will still shoot 1oz loads at @1225fps. But not 7/8oz or lower.
huntinsomd

Post by huntinsomd »

Turkinator wrote: April 21st, 2020, 11:26 am I don’t shoot the MP300 loads, but I did put the heavy Wolf spring in my M2 when I made it my designated turkey gun. It will still shoot 1oz loads at @1225fps. But not 7/8oz or lower.
I've been told that the Wolff springs are a great addition to 1100's and 1148's too. I'll put one in my project gun shortly.
doublegobble1

Post by doublegobble1 »

Jstocks wrote:Be careful with the gas guns like an 1187. They don’t like recipes that use 300mp.
Elaborate on gas guns and 300mp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

I’m in my 6th year with my M2. No problems. I do slightly trim my roll crimps but I don’t on my fold crimps. I do run the Wolf heavy recoil spring.
bertienchunter

Post by bertienchunter »

I got a stoeger M3020 earlier this month and i was impressed with the factory full with Federal TSS #9s.
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

Gar Commander wrote: April 19th, 2020, 12:28 pm The 20 ga loads that use 300 MP powder are the 2 oz and 2 1/8 oz of shot . I have yet to load either, but me and others I know have had issues of the primers wanting to pop out of even 1 5/8 oz loads in 20 gauge semi autos,. At first I thought maybe excess pressure, but triple checked my loads and chronographed to exact recipe and don't think it is pressure, but maybe weak springs or resistance on the hull when fired in some semi autos. Loose primers have never happened in my pump or O/U with same loads. Have also heard of some semi auto 20's throwing the bolt handle out upon firing. Everybody thinks TSS is rough on the inside of the barrel, when in fact it may be rough on the internals of the guns.
300MP isn’t just used in 2 and 2 1/8 oz. 20 ga. Loads, I shoot a 1 5/8 oz. recipe that calls for 300MP, matter of fact I have several 410 recipes that uses that powder. The problem that people are having with that powder is only in gas operated guns, I shoot a M2 which is inertia and I have never had a problem, maybe Hal will chime in and clear this up for people.
Fullfan

Post by Fullfan »

I have two of the Sa459's and love them. Also have a X-3 longeard that do not like much.

And I have a 1 5/8oz load that used the MP300, no doubt the powder is dirty when fired. And I did have problems with a gas gun throwing the bolt handle , I reduced the powder charge as advised by the guy I purchased the load from. Have not had a problem since.
jusanothajoe

Post by jusanothajoe »

I bought a Mossberg SA-20 Turkey 3 years ago for a dedicated turkey gun.
I bought it in the summer and it was used as a loaner gun during quail season, it has been flawless and never had a hiccup.
I shoot handloaded #9 TSS with a Jeb's .555 and can put 320+ in the 10 at 40 yards.
Stoned a 3 year old at 50+ yards Sunday.
It is a very reliable gun that won't break the bank.
No pistol grip available that I know of.
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

I think you are exactly right on that last point. I don't think it's really a tss issue; just a matter of shooting over 2 oz of shot in a 20 gauge semiautomatic. None of them are designed for a load that heavy, and shooting them anyway seems likely to wear the gun out prematurely.

I shoot a 1&5/8 oz load in my sxs, and even that is way more than the gun was designed to shoot. I can tell after 9 seasons and a couple of hundred shots that it has loosened up quite a bit. I expect it to outlast me, but I have another one to replace it with if I have to. It was only $486 when I bought it, and I am glad I did as they are almost impossible to find now. And those Turks made it with such close tolerances that the barrels from the first gun will work on the second gun. That is almost unheard of among sxs guns; most would require some gunsmith work to switch barrels.
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

I think you are exactly right on that last point. I don't think it's really a tss issue; just a matter of shooting over 2 oz of shot in a 20 gauge semiautomatic. None of them are designed for a load that heavy, and shooting them anyway seems likely to wear the gun out prematurely.

I shoot a 1&5/8 oz load in my sxs, and even that is way more than the gun was designed to shoot. I can tell after 9 seasons and a couple of hundred shots that it has loosened up quite a bit. I expect it to outlast me, but I have another one to replace it with if I have to. It was only $486 when I bought it, and I am glad I did as they are almost impossible to find now. And those Turks made it with such close tolerances that the barrels from the first gun will work on the second gun. That is almost unheard of among sxs guns; most would require some gunsmith work to switch barrels.
RemingtonRules

Post by RemingtonRules »

I have had no issues with any shells, handloads or factory, in my Franchi
Jourdan_D

Post by Jourdan_D »

Only down side the the M2 is the shortest barrel you can get is 24. I like a 20-22 for my guns.

Return to “Small Bore”