Nailed it. 410 301T

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
southpaw

Nailed it. 410 301T

Post by southpaw »

3014109.5tss.jpg
My brother and his girlfriend bought me a 301T 410 last year for my birthday. Figured I better get it ready. I tried Shooters 410 load with tss 9. Only put about 105 in the 10" at 40 yards. It was also 8" or so low. Put a peep site on it and a true glow on the front and got it centered. Switched to 9.5 shot and the numbers went to an average of 150 in the 10". This is with the factory choke. I didn't deep clean it but I do run a bore snake through it every other shot or so.

On a side note, I have an 870 410 that averages 150ish ( 138, 140, 142, 162, 164). I fired one of the 9.5 out of the 870 and got 152 in the 10". Guess I am loading two different 410 shells.

I also noted that with the 301 it shot just as good without the buffer as it did with it. I did have to trim the wad down a bit. That worked out well since now I have more room for the roll crimp. The pic posted is without the buffer. Their were more pellets outside the ten ring but I only dotted the ones that I thought would fall inside the 20" ring.

Let's see if I can get this pic up. Edit. Nailed it, not sure why the pic is on top since it was the last thing I added. I am calling it a win anyway.

Ps. The circle is about 9.75"-9.875". Guess I didn't get my pattern board cut perfect.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Nailed it. 410 301T

Post by guesswho »

Turkeys would live a lot longer if they would quit putting their heads in those 10” circles.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Skimerhorn

Post by Skimerhorn »

Nice. Hope.to get one with my 301 this year to
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

guesswho wrote: March 17th, 2020, 5:48 pm Turkeys would live a lot longer if they would quit putting their heads in those 10” circles.
You would think they would’ve figured that out by now
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

410’s are the most finicky. Each gun can shoot entirely different loads and that makes some go half mad trying to figure it out.

Good stuff!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
joey46

Post by joey46 »

Found out the "finiky" part quickly. My standard method for turkey guns with any adjustable sight has been to put in an open choke, sight in with deer slugs, then change to a turkey choke for very little sighting in then needed with expensive turkey loads. Always worked well with the 12ga 870 but took a while and a lot of slugs and Federal Tss to get the 301 where I'm comfortable with it. Windage not the problem but pattern height was. This with both a Simmons Pro Diamond scope and a Truglo red dot. Settled on the red dot and a Jebs Headhunter choke with Apex 9 1/2. Cringed shooting the Apex ($$) for pattern but it's the right thing to do. The more attainable Federal Tss #9 was close to the Apex btw. The pattern height stayed the same with Federal and Apex. Glad for that.
Add - the process was complicated when I noticed the picatinny rail had loosened during the sighting in process. Had to remove the red dot, add Lock Tite to the mount's very short screws, reinstall the red dot and check again. Whew! Anyone just setting up a 301 may want to start with first adding a little blue Lock Tite first. Save some frustration. My this turned into a long post. Next season may see the red dot retired and be replaced with one of the open sight systems a few guys have displayed on various forums.
kythunter

Post by kythunter »

Good job southpaw, and yes 410's are finicky.

Return to “Small Bore”