Mossberg Super Bantam 20 gauge turkey gun?

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
campcreekfarm

Mossberg Super Bantam 20 gauge turkey gun?

Post by campcreekfarm »

I am in the market for a new 20 gauge turkey gun. The one I have now just doesnt fit me that well but I do like using a small 20. What are the opinions of the Mossberg Super Bantam turkey gun ? I cant find one in stores around here to hold or lay eyes upon, and the only Mossberg I ever shot was the first one they had which took 3.5" shells a few decades ago. It was not a pleasurable experience, ha. Thank you for your answers.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Mossberg Super Bantam 20 gauge turkey gun?

Post by GLS »

I have one and it is outstanding. It comes camo'ed, styrene furniture, swivel mounts, drilled and tapped with inserts that can either be removed or added to increase stock length. Of course there's the famous Mossberg forend rattle which can be eliminated. Mine tops out at 6.5 lbs with a slip on recoil pad over the factory pad and a heavy Trijicon Relex sight, the old styled big one. I haven't used it in over 7 seasons as I prefer and shoot single shots. Gil
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Check the 505AF. You get the 20" barrel, but the short mag tube for less weight out front. I would investigate adding a full length stock and will if I ever see a used one pop up cheap.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Oh, the stock. Mossberg supplied a certificate to purchase an adult stock at a very low cost--$25 if memory serves, but this has been years ago. The bare gun weighed 5.25 lbs. Doubling up with the slip on pad helped with recoil shooting 1 5/8 oz. loads. Gil
firedup

Post by firedup »

I have one set up with red dot site. It is very lightweight and effective shooter. I set it up for my Dad who was in his 70's and the big 12's were getting too much. I shoot HW 7's and it patterns real well at 40+. I will switch to TSS when I run out of HW. For the $ I LOVE the little gun. I think GLS is right bout the stock upgrade. When I bought mine it also came with a slug barrel. Have never used it tho.
campcreekfarm

Post by campcreekfarm »

Thank You all for the replies. I would rather have a shorter stock anyways. The 20 I have now has way too long of a stock for me to feel comfortable especially if I swing right. I found out the hard way.
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

Mine shoots real nice patterns with a 575 choke and tss. Very consistent fun.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I started out with the PG .555 and liked the PG .570 better. Gil
firedup

Post by firedup »

PG .570 is what I use in mine also. Really performs well.
hookinembig

Post by hookinembig »

This is what my dad runs and he drops them in their tracks every time. He has added a 25 dollar red dot sight with a 11 dollar pictanny mount both from amazon and with #9 TSS loads from hawglips(Hal on this site) shot through a Indian creek black diamond choke I would put it up against almost any gun out there. It is super light weight and perfect for him he is in his 70's. Recoil is very light as well even shooting TSS.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

hookinembig wrote: April 27th, 2019, 9:43 pm This is what my dad runs and he drops them in their tracks every time. He has added a 25 dollar red dot sight with a 11 dollar pictanny mount both from amazon and with #9 TSS loads from hawglips(Hal on this site) shot through a Indian creek black diamond choke I would put it up against almost any gun out there. It is super light weight and perfect for him he is in his 70's. Recoil is very light as well even shooting TSS.
Link to mount, please.
BoxCall@68

Post by BoxCall@68 »

I bought a Mossberg 500 obsession camo ,20 gauge pump this year.went thru grab a gun,did the paperwork.really disappointed with the sloppy rattle fore end slop.should have held out for a single barrel.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Take your pick on the methods used to eliminate the rattle:
https://www.google.com/search?q=mossber ... e&ie=UTF-8

Return to “Small Bore”