W/W Long beard !!

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
Frankinthelaurels

W/W Long beard !!

Post by Frankinthelaurels »

I recently bought one of the new W/W sxp long beards in 20 guage....if you had to design the perfect turkey gun it would be close to this..light weight, backbored, great handling, shoots straight, awesome patterns, beautiful camo job great sights, you name it your wants are here BUT I have only one complaint.. the absolute, without question the WORST TRIGGER ever released by any manufacturer in the history of firearms !!! I've shot about everything there is to shoot from $100 guns to $10'000 rifles and NEVER shot one worst, mine breaks at. 12 1/2 pounds..I actually couldn't even make it fire and took it back to where I bought it thinking it must be missing a part...tried to pull it with one finger and couldn't do it..gotta use two fingers... W/W should hang their heads in shame !!! How could they make the perfect turkey gun and release it with this JUNK trigger.....DO NOT BUY ONE UNLESS THEY RECALL THEM AND RIGHT THIS WRONG..REDICULOUS WINCHESTER, ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS !!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: W/W Long beard !!

Post by Hoobilly »

Wow that’s crazy! Has to be something g wrong with yours

Couple years ago there was a gun that was going off when slammed shut on the pump. Was that the Winchester?
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

I bought an SX3 20 gauge three years ago. The trigger would break at around 8 pounds one time and 15 the next. Must've been a burr or something.
My gunsmith worked it for $50 and it breaks great at about 5 pounds now.
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Why don’t you send it back. Must be a flaw.
WHAT DID THEY SAY WHEN YOU TOOK IT BACK.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Made in Turkey?
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

had the same problem with a made in turkey sxp longbeard. sold it and now have the sx3
El Sicario
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

I've worked on the triggers on two of the 20 gauge SXP's and Winchester has designed a real mess. As I was told by Reloader, it is essentially a two stage trigger akin to those on many AR's without the ease of adjustment. The trigger group is difficult to assemble/disassemble and other than polishing the sear and contact points and minor relief of the coil spring there is not much which can be done. I don't think that the fault lies with the manufacturing in Turkey since some of the Turkish made guns are really nice, as much as the horrible design from Winchester, although one of the guns was improperly assembled which necessitated a replacement spring from Winchester. I don't see a quick fix from Winchester and the best you will get is a two stage trigger w/ a mushy take-up to the release which breaks above 4-5 pounds. Not great for a gun designed to be aimed and shot like a rifle.
Frankinthelaurels

Post by Frankinthelaurels »

AGREE...IT IS JUNK..PLAIN AND SIMPLE...DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE FOR ANY AMOUNT !! WINCHEDTER BETTER COME UP WITH A FREE REPLACEMENT AND RECALL...THERE IS NO JUSTIFICATION FOR RELEASING THIS..NONE... BUT I can assure you of one thing I and everyone I know will never buy anything from winchester again...I can't wait to take this to each sportsman's club and shooting match to show everyone what W/W is now producing for the shooters..ABSOLUTELY SHAMFUL !!!

PISSED BEYOND BELIEF AT THE AUDACITY OF MANAGEMENT/ENGINEERING !! NO EXCUSE..
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

I was sharing your initial post w/the friend whose SXP I had worked on, and commented that the entire trigger group/magazine and slide release was over engineered and far too complicated. As opposed to a modular system w/ a drop out trigger assembly separate from the other components they have made all the internals ie., trigger group, magazine release, slide release integral and, FYI, the 12 gauge and 20 gauge don't assemble/disassemble identically. I would box up the gun, take it back and demand a replacement or refund, and if they give you any problem ask to see a manager and explain that they have sold a dangerous/defective firearm and as the sales agent for Winchester per your attorney are potentially libel. It's one thing to purchase a firearm designed for wing shooting w/ a heavy trigger, but the SXP in the Longbeard configuration was designed and sold as a turkey gun and the trigger performance should reflect that purpose without any adjustment or modification. It's a real shame that Winchester did so much right w/ the SXP, yet really screwed up one of the most important features for a turkey hunter.

Return to “Small Bore”