20 ga dove gun

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
fountain

20 ga dove gun

Post by fountain »

I'm sure there are plenty that shoot a 20 for doves. I'm gonna give my little m2 a try for doves shortly and was curious to what choke most of you shoot? I've always shot a modified...in 12 and 20. I've just never been able to kill em with a 20 for some reason. Likely it's because I suck at shooting, but I typically do better with a 12.

I was thinking of going to a full(ish) choke in the 20 for a try. I'm currently looking for an extended choke of some sort for it. If anyone has an extended mobil 20 ga heavy mod or full they would like to part with let me know.

I was also looking at shells today and have options for 2 loads. Both are 1oz shot. One is a Rio and the other is kent diamond dove. Any preferences of one over the other?
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: 20 ga dove gun

Post by turkeyinstrut »

Don't that M2 have the Crio choke system.
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

Get a Carlson extended IC choke. I’ve had better luck with the IC in a 20ga, because the 20ga has a longer shot string it shoots tighter.
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

I’ve had good luck with the Rio shells, but never shot any Kent for doves. Check the poa/poi on the m2 usually the 20ga is purdy good.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

I've used my M2 20ga on several dove hunts. I reload a pretty hot 1oz load for doves. I shot the imp cyl in it. This year my opening day dove gun will be my 1100 20ga LW. It's choked skeet. Once the birds have been shot at a few days I'll switch to a 12. Reason I'm not shooting my M2 is I don't want to take the Burris ff3 off.
Jbird22

Post by Jbird22 »

I shoot an original A5 with 28" bbl, fixed modified choke, and Rio 1 oz 1250 fps 8's.
Contact Info - 4XWADSLITTER@GMAIL.COM
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

For doves improved or mod in my guns. And I use the federal 1 1/8 oz 7.5’s from Walmart in the 100 round box. Killsm dead
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
fountain

Post by fountain »

turkeyinstrut wrote: August 15th, 2018, 10:46 pm Don't that M2 have the Crio choke system.
Yup...you right.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

The key to good patterns in a 20 or any gauge for that matter is hard, high antimony shot. That means handloads with magnum grade shot or relatively expensive target loads (Win AA, Rem Premier, Fed GM target). You will get better patterns from 7/8 oz of quality target loads vs 1 oz loads with lower quality shot with the advantage of less recoil.

I would shoot 8s rather than 7&1/2s to improve pattern density. Most doves are killed within 30 yds of the gun, because 1) most hunters don't hit well beyond 30 yds, and 2) doves present a rather small target that requires significant pattern density. An average wingshot will probably do best with an IC choke while keeping shots to 30 yds and in. You can certainly kill doves beyond that distance with a full choked 20 but only if you can hit them. That tighter pattern makes it harder to hit the closer birds that are your best chance at shooting a limit.
Last edited by Spuriosity on August 17th, 2018, 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

Back in the day I used to do a lot of dove hunting, for a long time I was having trouble just killing them and for a long time in the beginning I shot low brass 7 1/2's. One day I had a bird crossing about 30 yards in front of me and I shot 3 times and knocked the feathers off the bird all 3 shots but he never slowed down, it was then that I went to high brass 6's and my shot to kill ratio went up drastically. With that being said the gun needs to fit you correctly also, it's not like shooting at a stationary target like a turkey, one day a buddy of mine and myself was dove hunting and I was having a hell of a time killing birds and my buddy suggested we trade guns, I had been using my 21" barreled 11-87 turkey gun and he let me use his Fox double. I couldn't miss with his gun, it fit me perfectly, I realize the 21" barrel wasn't helping me any but having a gun that fits you correctly when you are wing shooting is a must. I would love to try my M2 20 ga. this year on doves as it fits me like a glove.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

If you already have problems shooting a 20, a full choke will only make it worse. Stick to Mod or IC and shoot only those within 30-35 yards. I like #8 on early season dove when they typically are smaller and not heavily feathered. Late season migratory birds are bigger and heavily feathered. For those I prefer 7.5. I shoot 7/8 oz. in both 16 and 20 for dove, quail, snipe and woodcock. For snipe and woodcock #8 works fine. Gil
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

I have a .560 Crio extended tube for sale but that would probably be too tight for what you are wanting.
dsunday

Post by dsunday »

Have you shot Clay's with the m2?
"Never trust what you quote from the internet" -Abe Lincoln
Gar Commander

Post by Gar Commander »

I dove hunt with a Citori 20 ga with a full choke in one barrel and a mod or IC in the other. I will keep the barrel selector on the more open barrel until i see I am about to get a longer shot and swap the selector to the full choked barrel. Also, if i miss on the first shot the longer follow up shot is automatically with the full choked barrel then which is exactly what is need on a follow up shot. Rio 1 oz number 8 loads are a doves nightmare. my performance falls way off if i use a 7/8 oz load of any type.
SumToy

Post by SumToy »

Amanda out shoots him anyways. :LMAO:
taylorjones20

Post by taylorjones20 »

I dove hunt with my M2 20ga and I use the RR T2 with win AA. I've never shot so good with a gun. All my buddies always end up asking to shoot it before the hunt is over. (Not sponsored, not pushing a product, just being honest)
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

taylorjones20 wrote: August 16th, 2018, 8:50 pm I dove hunt with my M2 20ga and I use the RR T2 with win AA. I've never shot so good with a gun. All my buddies always end up asking to shoot it before the hunt is over. (Not sponsored, not pushing a product, just being honest)
My M2 fits me better than any shotgun that I have ever owned.
fountain

Post by fountain »

I dont beleive I've tried the m2 for doves yet..cant remember, but dont beleive I have. I shot my little Charles daly once and couldn't hit crap. I typically shoot an m1 or a borrowed super sport, so maybe the transition to the m2 will be smooth and work out ok. I'm going to break my guns out soon and shoot them on paper to see how the patterns look. Yea, sounds dumb for shooting doves, but it's fun and just part of a neverending process of the hunt
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

I shoot an M2 20 at both doves and ducks. I shoot an extended LM in mine. Rio’s work. Never shot Kents. I usually shoot federals...field and target, or something like that. 9’s if I can find em, 8’s will do. The M2 is awesome. I don’t think I own a gun that feels better to me. And please don’t shoot a full choke...open ‘er up.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

fountain wrote: August 16th, 2018, 11:05 pm I dont beleive I've tried the m2 for doves yet..cant remember, but dont beleive I have. I shot my little Charles daly once and couldn't hit crap. I typically shoot an m1 or a borrowed super sport, so maybe the transition to the m2 will be smooth and work out ok. I'm going to break my guns out soon and shoot them on paper to see how the patterns look. Yea, sounds dumb for shooting doves, but it's fun and just part of a neverending process of the hunt
Don't think it sounds stupid at all to shoot paper with your dove gun. If more people would do that, they would kill more doves. I pattern all my shotguns with the loads I plan to use. It's the only way to show yourself how thin a 1 oz load of 6s looks from an IC choke at 40 yds. Doves can fly through that pattern all day long. I often hear people bragging about how they can kill doves at amazing distances (50 yds). And yes, it can happen with a lucky pellet to the head. But shoot your dove gun/load at that distance at paper, and you will see how futile it is to shoot at them that far.
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

Most of yall know that I shoot a 20ga at everything that requires a shotgun. I have been shooting doves with a 20ga exclusively for 30+ years. I shoot an extended Light Modified choke all season. I prefer Rio 2&3/4 dram, 1oz, #8s. Sometimes, early in the season, I'll shoot the same shells loaded with #9s. I mostly use my Benelli M1 (24") and my Benelli Montefeltro (26").
I always kill my share of doves.
Ultimate Predator
gaswamp

Post by gaswamp »

shoot a Remington 1100 20ga with imprcyl using 9's early season

Return to “Small Bore”