Barrel regulation

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
sportrep

Barrel regulation

Post by sportrep »

I have a side by side the barrels shoot one foot horizontally apart at 38 yards. Can that be fixed by filing the choke, or is it too much to overcome? I want to keep one barrel for tight constriction (longer shots) and one barrel open for closer shots. Any suggestions are welcome.
8B20A613-4022-49DF-A03D-98F234632CAD.jpeg
"Every time I get a dose of stinkin thinking, all I need is a check up from the neck up." Zig Ziegler...
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Barrel regulation

Post by GLS »

Find the thread by poorcountrypreacher a few years ago showing his trials and tribulations in regulating his double. He succeeded but with great effort. TSS behaves differently in a double compared with lead. Gil
sportrep

Post by sportrep »

GLS wrote: May 4th, 2018, 8:10 am Find the thread by poorcountrypreacher a few years ago showing his trials and tribulations in regulating his double. He succeeded but with great effort. TSS behaves differently in a double compared with lead. Gil
Once again.....thank you sir!
"Every time I get a dose of stinkin thinking, all I need is a check up from the neck up." Zig Ziegler...
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Why not just aim a foot off compensating? Pick a tree, bush etc aim at that and let er rip. Y'all get to complicated.
Gar Commander

Post by Gar Commander »

I'm no psychic, but I see collateral damage in your future. Better hunt where it is ok to kill more than one bird at a time!
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

It's easy to say use Kentucky windage, but in the heat of a hunt, a snap decision can really mess up which way to hold. It's better to have aims that coincide. Gil
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

GLS wrote: May 4th, 2018, 12:09 pm It's easy to say use Kentucky windage, but in the heat of a hunt, a snap decision can really mess up which way to hold. It's better to have aims that coincide. Gil
In reality it's no different than when I have a deer I wanna shoot at 700-800 yards and do not have ballistic compensating reticle, I just hold over.
coconut

Post by coconut »

If you do file on it let us know how it works. I wouldn’t hunt with a gun that shot like that until I fixed it.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Going to a lighter load will probably bring the points of impact closer together. If stuck on heavy loads, it might surprise how wide a pattern will go and remain effective with a heavy load of small shot.
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

I answered your pm. That's very normal for a sxs to shoot tss in that manner - left barrel shoots left and right barrel shoots right. A lighter load will probably not be as far off, and a file will usually move the pattern so that both barrels shoot to same poi. Your gun was designed to shoot field loads; put in 1.625 oz loads and any sxs is probably gonna have l-r issues. An o/u gun is gonna likely have up/down issues. Good luck

I shoot the same load in both barrels, but use #9 in the tight barrel and #10 in the open
southpaw

Post by southpaw »

Are you guys filing the choke of fixed choke guns? Not sure I could bring myself to do that. I like my SxS guns for shooting things that fly or hop and my o/u for shooting clays. Never thought much about taking them turkey hunting. I can see the benefit to having that open choke barrel for when they are in your face.

Jerry Jr.
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

Maybe add some sort of sights. Sight in the tight barrel at 40, then try an open choke at 20. It’ll probably be close enough. If not, then hit it with the file. You could try different payloads in the open barrel as well.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
sportrep

Post by sportrep »

poorcountrypreacher wrote: May 4th, 2018, 3:14 pm I answered your pm. That's very normal for a sxs to shoot tss in that manner - left barrel shoots left and right barrel shoots right. A lighter load will probably not be as far off, and a file will usually move the pattern so that both barrels shoot to same poi. Your gun was designed to shoot field loads; put in 1.625 oz loads and any sxs is probably gonna have l-r issues. An o/u gun is gonna likely have up/down issues. Good luck

I shoot the same load in both barrels, but use #9 in the tight barrel and #10 in the open
Thank you sir! That private message is exactly what I needed to move forward. Best of luck to you on your hunt! May the sound of a dozen drumming toms be in your near future!
sportrep

Post by sportrep »

Thanks for all the replies. I am gonna start filing a little at a time. Gotta order some tss 10 shot for the open barrel. Anyone know if someone has 10s in stock?
I will post progress with photos. Thanks again gentlemen!
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

southpaw wrote: May 4th, 2018, 8:20 pm Are you guys filing the choke of fixed choke guns? Not sure I could bring myself to do that. I like my SxS guns for shooting things that fly or hop and my o/u for shooting clays. Never thought much about taking them turkey hunting. I can see the benefit to having that open choke barrel for when they are in your face.

Jerry Jr.
I would much rather work with screw in chokes. I use cheap $20 chokes and don't worry a whole lot if I ruin one. Filing one will degrade the pattern to some extent, so start with a choke that is one size tighter than you want the pattern.

I filed the fixed chokes on a Spanish sxs and use it for my backup gun. I had nothing to lose by filing it - it would not center any load. It just wasn't put together correctly; the right barrel shot way to the left and the left barrel shot way to the right. You could shoot at a can with birdshot at 40 yards and you wouldn't put a pellet in it with either barrel. It was made in the 60s, but had barely been used when I got it. I suspect it had some frustrated owners over the years.

I filed it to center TSS loads, and both barrels will shoot to POA. It would need more filing to shoot lead. All sxs guns must be put together with convergence in the barrels to account for the recoil, and this one just had too much convergence.

Return to “Small Bore”