Poa / poi question

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
sportrep

Poa / poi question

Post by sportrep »

Can point of impact vary greatly from one load to another? Say, hevi shot load and a tss load. Can they be different enough to miss a turkey at 30 yards? I have helped a friend get started with 20 ga and tss this year and he is having issues. He has killed two turkeys with tss this year. One at 43 yards. The next turkey he shot just stood there for an extended period of time and he shot him again (35 yards). He has clean missed two birds. He checked point of impact with a hevi shot load because he is running low on tss loads. He shot a tss load at 25 yards and it is 6” low and left. He shoots 2 3/4” in an Affinity, and I shoot 3” in an 870 or I would give him some of my shells. His gun is drilled and tapped with a full length picatinny rail (4 screws). Shooting a fast fire III.
I don’t have enough experience to know if two different loads can be that different, or if we need to look for something moving on the gun -barrel, rail, or sight. Someone with knowledge regarding the load differences would be appreciated.
"Every time I get a dose of stinkin thinking, all I need is a check up from the neck up." Zig Ziegler...
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Poa / poi question

Post by GLS »

Yes, different loads can have different POI. The only way to be certain is to shoot them. Sometimes it's the Indian and not the arrow when it comes to misses. Gil
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Yes absolutely different loads can shoot to varying POI. It is incumbent on the hunter to shoot the load he plans to hunt with to verify POI. If you don't have enough of those shells to do that, then ethically you should not hunt with them. I would submit that it is more critical to do so with TSS than most loads because of how tightly they pattern. I would no more go into the turkey woods assuming my gun shoots where I'm aiming than I would go deer hunting with a round I had not verified preseason. I know guys that grab a box of rifle bullets off the shelf and go hunt without a sight-in session, but they should really not be surprised if they wound or miss a deer. Same thing applies to turkeys and turkey ammo.
BrowningGuy88

Post by BrowningGuy88 »

I have 2 20 gauge TSS Loads. The 1-7/16 ounce load in my 870 shoots within inches of Hevi 6's and Winchester 5's and also patterns well so I shoot it.

The 1-5/8 ounce load shoots almost a foot off from these other loads and patterns much better, but I like the double beads on that gun so I don't shoot it. It's what my grandfather runs in his Mossy 500 with a red dot.
chipper

Post by chipper »

Yes, I have two loads that vertically are the same impact but horizontally have about 8" difference in impact, both shoot great and the only difference in them is the powder and one uses a seal.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Spuriosity wrote: April 10th, 2018, 8:48 am Yes absolutely different loads can shoot to varying POI. It is incumbent on the hunter to shoot the load he plans to hunt with to verify POI. If you don't have enough of those shells to do that, then ethically you should not hunt with them. I would submit that it is more critical to do so with TSS than most loads because of how tightly they pattern. I would no more go into the turkey woods assuming my gun shoots where I'm aiming than I would go deer hunting with a round I had not verified preseason. I know guys that grab a box of rifle bullets off the shelf and go hunt without a sight-in session, but they should really not be surprised if they wound or miss a deer. Same thing applies to turkeys and turkey ammo.
Spur, well said. Gil
sportrep

Post by sportrep »

He is using his old 12ga. until we can load more shells and see what the issue is / was. He originally zeroed his ffIII with tss. He thinks he may have jarred it. Thanks for the input.
"Every time I get a dose of stinkin thinking, all I need is a check up from the neck up." Zig Ziegler...

Return to “Small Bore”