28 Ga Gun Opinions

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
Thumper

28 Ga Gun Opinions

Post by Thumper »

I am kicking tires on a new 28 gauge to be set up for thumping turkeys! I called Indian Creek (thank you Hal) and found they sell chokes threaded for Mobil chokes and Browning Invector +. I have found a Franchi semi auto model 48, but fear it would never handle the 1 5/16 to 1 1/2 oz loads without damage. Please let me know if I`m all wrong on this assessment. I also have a lead on a 870 Express that would need to be threaded. I can see it digesting any load with ease. Let me know your thoughts as I know I`m asking the right folks.
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: 28 Ga Gun Opinions

Post by turkeyinstrut »

The Franchi 48 AL is a very good choice, I have a TriStar Viper G2 28 ga. and it is a great gun for the money and both the TriStar and Franchi takes Mobil choke tubes.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

The slickest 28 ga. going is the CZ Bobwhite if you can find one. Search DocHoliday and Waddle Whacker to see what they did with theirs. Gil
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

Waddle Whacker on here has used a 48AL for several years, and I haven’t heard of him having any problems. I think Hal has one also you can check with him. Steve
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Well, I ended up going with the Franchi. It is a recoil operated system, not gas. It was listed on Gunbroker, but by a local seller, new, unfired, no box or extra chokes. It has a modified screwed in it now. Thanks for all the suggestions!
okiefowler

Post by okiefowler »

Thumper wrote:Well, I ended up going with the Franchi. It is a recoil operated system, not gas. It was listed on Gunbroker, but by a local seller, new, unfired, no box or extra chokes. It has a modified screwed in it now. Thanks for all the suggestions!
It's a great gun. Have a matching pair in 20 and 28 that have been killing all kinds of birds for quite a while. Makes a great upland game gun.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

pacecars

Post by pacecars »

I bought a 48AL 28 ga for Turkey this year. I have been shooting Hal's 1 1/2oz loads with no problem. It is a light gun and let's you know you have shot them but it is still a 28 gauge!
pacecars

Post by pacecars »

I am using a Carlson's extra full choke and it patterns awesomely
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

I did order 2 Extra Full chokes today, a Carlson, and a Truchoke. I'm sure glad to hear the Carlson is giving a nice pattern. I also found a youth stock, which I prefer, this is a delux model with pretty wood. I had rather drill the youth for a sling stud.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

I wasn`t sure about this being a NWTF shotgun, could have been just as happy if it hadn`t been, but the gun is unfired and the price was right, so it followed me home!!

Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

Great choice! You’re really gonna enjoy it. If I were you, I’d try the factory full first. That’s what I shoot. Any tighter and my patterns were blown, but I do see where some folks have success with an XF. Mine averages around 230-240 with the 1-5/16 and the 1-1/2oz loads. And mine is the same NWTF gun. If you zoom in you can probably still make out the engraving, under the dip.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Man, very nice !! I been looking on E-Bay for a factory full Mobil Choke but no luck yet. This gun had 1 choke and no box and the choke is modified. The Carlson is a .524" XF and the Truchoke is .529" XF so hopefully one of those will do me right. If i get 230 to 240, I`m going to be very happy!! Hal was kind enough to send me loads for those 2 weights. I don`t have a 28 ga press to fold crimp, so I got the over shot cards and roll crimp. I hope that will work out ok.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

I have a factory full Beretta mobil choke on the way!
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

Good deal man. Sounds like you’ve got it pretty well covered. Keep us posted with your results. I’ve never rolled any 28’s, but I’m sure it’ll work just fine.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

That TSS is worse than crack....lol
pacecars

Post by pacecars »

I went with the roll crimp and it works great

Return to “Small Bore”