Yildz OU SPZ ME 20ga Build

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
Squeaky

Yildz OU SPZ ME 20ga Build

Post by Squeaky »

Has anyone on here built out a Yildz OU SPZ ME 20ga for turkeys yet? I bought one early fall I plan to build into a turkey killer. If someone has built one out already I would like to chat with you in regards to what has worked best for your set up. I will be shooting TSS out of mine.
Last edited by Squeaky on December 25th, 2017, 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Yildz OU SP2 Build

Post by howl »

Don't recognize the model. There's a few on here have done sub-gauge Yildiz. I recommend checking POI to see if it needs to go to Briley. You should see the top barrel dead on at about 13 yards. The bottom barrel should be a few inches low.

I also recommend taking the butt off, flushing the action out with solvent and giving it a good dose of Corrosion X, INOX MX3, etc.
Squeaky

Post by Squeaky »

I was mistaken on the model. The gun have is a Yildz SPZ ME 20 gauge youth with 24" barrels.
Squeaky

Post by Squeaky »

howl wrote: December 25th, 2017, 3:37 pm Don't recognize the model. There's a few on here have done sub-gauge Yildiz. I recommend checking POI to see if it needs to go to Briley. You should see the top barrel dead on at about 13 yards. The bottom barrel should be a few inches low.

I also recommend taking the butt off, flushing the action out with solvent and giving it a good dose of Corrosion X, INOX MX3, etc.
Thank you for the info. The model I have is a Yildz SPZ ME 20ga youth with 24" barrels. I was mistaken on what I had bought.
jhogue

Post by jhogue »

howl wrote: December 25th, 2017, 3:37 pm Don't recognize the model. There's a few on here have done sub-gauge Yildiz. I recommend checking POI to see if it needs to go to Briley. You should see the top barrel dead on at about 13 yards. The bottom barrel should be a few inches low.

So is the POI correction a free fix on these guns? That makes them even better in my book. I’ve been searching gunbroker looking at Stevens 555s, but this may be one more reason to by a new Yildiz.
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Yildz OU SPZ ME 20ga Build

Post by 2Shooter »

Yes, Briley does the warranty work on Yildiz shotguns, and that is covered.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

I'm in progress with the same gun. I need to stop dragging my feet and get components ordered for a low-recoil load of T10s. I made a post on POI testing on the gun last summer. Will try factory full first. Sumtoy does turkey chokes for these, btw.
SumToy

Post by SumToy »

We got one in the shop now. It is a good little gun. I see alot of them with the kids on 4H team they hold up good for the money. This one we been shooting TSS in it. The Apex and Nitro loads. The we run the 562 with the Apex and Federal loads. The Nitro blend had to be open up to 570.
Squeaky

Post by Squeaky »

SumToy wrote: December 26th, 2017, 10:40 am We got one in the shop now. It is a good little gun. I see alot of them with the kids on 4H team they hold up good for the money. This one we been shooting TSS in it. The Apex and Nitro loads. The we run the 562 with the Apex and Federal loads. The Nitro blend had to be open up to 570.
William I will be loading my own TSS as I have done so for the last several years. I may reach out to you for my choke needs if I find I need something tighter.

I do plan to mount a Buris Fast Fire 3 on this gun. I have heard a 336 base or the base you build for the FF3 can be machined to mount to the vent rib. Do you have any experience with mounting a FF3 to a vent rib?
SumToy

Post by SumToy »

It has alot to do with what load. PM me if need any help with it.
Attachments
21617867_1668591619831538_3304277098569648457_n.jpg
Squeaky

Post by Squeaky »

William I sent you a PM.
SpitNDrumN

Post by SpitNDrumN »

Can’t speak for the 20ga but I have the same Gun in .410. The top barrel is dead on perfect at 40 and the bottom barrel is basically dead on good left to right. Center of the pattern was just 2-3 inches lower with the bottom barrel at 40.
coconut

Post by coconut »

How do they correct poi?
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

The one I sent back was re-threaded. POI was over a foot off. They put it dead on from the top barrel and a few inches lower with the bottom.

I called Briley and talked to the one who would do the work. I put a note in the box before I dropped it off at Academy for shipping. I find that it is necessary to have a conversation with the ones doing the work, before buying these guns, to be sure the desired outcome can be attained. There is a great variety in what people think about patterns, POI and POA.
coconut

Post by coconut »

That is a good point. For me I want there to be no rib showing and the bead in the center of the pattern. I have heard that clay shooters like the pattern to be above the bead so the bead doesn’t cover the target
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

I like a gun that will put the pattern high for aerial targets. I also want to be able to bury my cheek into the comb to bring the POI down so I can catch very close targets with the edge of the pattern. For general purposes, my take is that the gun should flat like you want when tested at 15 yards +/-. Then putting the pattern high would come from fitting the gun.

The YIldiz I have now hits low. For aerial targets you have to cover them with the barrel. I don't mind because it is just a turkey gun for me. I can aim at the head and not worry about missing high.

Return to “Small Bore”