M2 mount options

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
PALongspur

M2 mount options

Post by PALongspur »

I’m considering adding a Vortex Venom to my M2 for this spring. What is the best mounting system that some of you have experience with.

Thanks in advance!
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: M2 mount options

Post by drenalinld »

The lowest to the barrel option is the Burris FF3 mount for Marlin 444.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=burris+410333

That is what I used to mount a Venom on my M2 20. Will look for a pic. This base is flat.

Sumtoy makes a curved mount that is low but not as low as the one listed above. It also weighs a hair more putting more stress on the screws. It is however curved base so it more closely matches the curve of gun action but it does not fit the M2 exactly.

If you get it tapped, make dang sure it is a trustworthy smith who has worked with m2 20's. I used a friend and my holes are crooked. Fortunately, the sight was adjustable enough to still get it lined up. Whichever one you decide on you should mount base and sight with a torque driver. These screws should be set at 15-17 in-lbs. Any more and you risk stripping threads and having to drill and tap larger. Also pay close attention to the screw lengths. They need more than a couple threads engagement IMO but too long will cause issues also.
SumToy

Post by SumToy »

This got me to looking. lol. The 336 mount is a good mount. It takes 2 8-40 screews that has to be in one place. If gun not tap no problem. If tap you should only need to drill one hole. Our mount can have 2 6-48 or 8-40. I like 6-48 so if you ever have problem you can step up to next size.

I did not know it was not a perfect fit. I will check to see. I don't have a M2 in shop but will find one.

Both ways will work with FF3 or Vortex.
Attachments
20171222_094932.jpg
20171222_094942.jpg
20171222_095023.jpg
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

I have the sumtoy mount with a Burris FF3. I've hunted with it 2 years and it's working great. I also have the Burris mount for the 336marlin on another gun. Either way you go you should be fine. Drenalind gave excellent advice on getting it competently installed.
huntin

Post by huntin »

I mounted a Jpoint Circle Dot on my M2 using a Weaver Multi slot base, model 48339. Used 2 holes and cut off the excess. Fits perfect.
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

As I was telling NBK on here a few days ago the Burris Speed Bead mount is a excellent choice for mounting a FF III or Vortex Venom sight, it sits low and requires no drilling and tapping. I have the Speed Bead mount on 3 of my turkey guns and absolutely love them.

Return to “Small Bore”