I.D. Of Fiocchi 28 Ga. Hull

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

I.D. Of Fiocchi 28 Ga. Hull

Post by turkeyinstrut »

I am having some issues with the Cheddite 28 ga. hulls and was wondering if anybody could give me the I.D. of a Fiocchi 28 ga. hull, thanks in advance for any help.
Jstocks

Re: I.D. Of Fiocchi 28 Ga. Hull

Post by Jstocks »

What kind of issues are you having?

I think I shoot the cheddite and have had no issues. Are you sure it's the hull?
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

Purdy sure that is where the problem is, the Cheddite hulls are .562 I.D. and the TPS wads measure somewhere between .540 to .542. The wads literally just fall in the hull with no resistance at all. I loaded up one shell last night and just turned it upside down (never even shook it) and you wouldn't believe the powder that migrated around the wad, I can't even imagine what they would look like after carrying then around in my vest for a week.
Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

I had a similar issue on a 20 gauge load several years ago with a load that used fiochii hulls. I didn't know if it was a bad batch of wads or hulls. I just quit using the load all together.
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

Jstocks wrote: July 29th, 2017, 3:35 pm I had a similar issue on a 20 gauge load several years ago with a load that used fiochii hulls. I didn't know if it was a bad batch of wads or hulls. I just quit using the load all together.
The thing I am up against with the 28 is there is only one wad to use (TPS) and the only high brass hull is Cheddite. I was hoping someone could give me the ID of a Fiocchi 28 ga. hull and if it will be a tighter fit I will just load them in Fiocchi low brass hulls (after getting them tested first of course).
Sloppy_Snood

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

Just push in an appropriately sized Nitro Card over the powder in the hull. Add wad on top and proceed.

http://www.circlefly.com/html/products.html
"You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?"- Bernadette Peters
bullethead

Post by bullethead »

Or use a 12ga Tyvek overshot disc.
Place it under the wad and when you seat the wad the tyvec will form around the bottom of the wad and tighten the seal. You can trim for ideal fit.

It is also a nice fix for powder migration and keeping powder off the wads that tend to get brittle when powder sits against them for long periods of time.
Tungsten tinkerer from way back.
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

bullethead wrote: August 1st, 2017, 1:12 pm Or use a 12ga Tyvek overshot disc.
Place it under the wad and when you seat the wad the tyvec will form around the bottom of the wad and tighten the seal. You can trim for ideal fit.

It is also a nice fix for powder migration and keeping powder off the wads that tend to get brittle when powder sits against them for long periods of time.
Powder migration is the problem I'm having, the recipe's I have are from Hal and both recipes call for Cheddite hulls and TPS wads. The I.D. of the hulls measure .562 and the O.D. of the gas seal on the wads measure .540 to .542 and unfortunately TPS is the only multi metal wad you can get for a 28, I was wondering if the Fiocchi hulls were any tighter and it seems the I.D. on them are .556 (according to Ballistic Products). Hal told me to put a couple of over shot cards on top of the powder then drop the wad in. I may just end up ordering some Fiocchi hulls and loading them up and send them to Precision for testing.
bullethead

Post by bullethead »

I know many of the 1.5oz 28ga loads are at the upper limits of saami.
It takes a lot of energy to get decent velocity from heavy sub gauge loads.

Try the 12ga tyvec over shot disc.
It may solve your problem without any load height change ir added pressure.
bullethead

Post by bullethead »

Sorry for the double post.
Last edited by bullethead on August 1st, 2017, 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toasty

Post by toasty »

Flair the skirt of shotcup. The RSI 20ga wad is also undersized and I just take a second to flair the wad base with round end of a sharpie. Works really well for the 28ga loads that I use lilgun in as well. Doesn't affect pattern and velocity of my loads.
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

bullethead wrote: August 1st, 2017, 4:16 pm I know many of the 1.5oz 28ga loads are at the upper limits of saami.

Yea, the 1.5 oz. recipe I have is already a tad over saami now and I don't want to do anything to raise it more, I also have a recipe for a 1 5/16 oz. load which is about 2700 PSI under the saami max. I think I will try the overshot cards that Hal suggested and if that doesn't work I have a whole pack of 12 ga. Tight Seal's from BP, I think it's their version of Tyvek.
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

toasty wrote: August 1st, 2017, 4:36 pm Flair the skirt of shotcup. The RSI 20ga wad is also undersized and I just take a second to flair the wad base with round end of a sharpie. Works really well for the 28ga loads that I use lilgun in as well. Doesn't affect pattern and velocity of my loads.
I thought about that but won't it return back to it's original size over time? The recipes I have calls for H110 or Win. 296 and both are finer than Li'l Gun which makes the migration problem even worse.
bullethead

Post by bullethead »

turkeyinstrut wrote: August 1st, 2017, 6:30 pm
bullethead wrote: August 1st, 2017, 4:16 pm I know many of the 1.5oz 28ga loads are at the upper limits of saami.

Yea, the 1.5 oz. recipe I have is already a tad over saami now and I don't want to do anything to raise it more, I also have a recipe for a 1 5/16 oz. load which is about 2700 PSI under the saami max. I think I will try the overshot cards that Hal suggested and if that doesn't work I have a whole pack of 12 ga. Tight Seal's from BP, I think it's their version of Tyvek.
Keep us posted
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

bullethead wrote: August 1st, 2017, 6:54 pm
turkeyinstrut wrote: August 1st, 2017, 6:30 pm

Keep us posted
Will do.

Return to “Small Bore”