Requesting pertinent info on Wiinchester SXP 20 gauge

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
decoykrvr

Requesting pertinent info on Wiinchester SXP 20 gauge

Post by decoykrvr »

I would appreciate any information ie. choke diameter, patterning, trigger pull weight and adjustability, utilization w/ a FF III, personal observations and any pertinent info not included in the guns published specs. I have a potential "deal" in the works and thank you in advance of your comments and information.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Requesting pertinent info on Wiinchester SXP 20 gauge

Post by Grumpy »

Buy it , shoot it, ya can't go wrong if you are getting a good deal. I had a couple of the Winchester 1200 pump shotguns and they were an outstanding shotgun
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Reloader »

Great gun. The trigger is a little finicky to adjust when speaking of a quick and crude fix. It's like a two stage set-up, so you have two weights to deal with. I was able to make mine very usable by lightening the first stage or "take-up" stage by stressing that particular spring. I now have a light first stage with still plenty of reset force, but hit a solid wall and it has a decent break at that point that's not overly heavy. It's quite sufficient for a turkey gun, but I have to admit, I do like a single stage feel better, even if it has a touch of creep before the break. As far as chokes are concerned, it's a backbored bbl, so it will respond better to a little larger ED than you'd be accustomed to on say a Rem. With HW7, the Primos TW can't be beat, but it's too tight for hunting IMO(170-190@40). The TW was also too tight with TSS(360+). I then tried a .585 Flush Win, Carlson .585 flush, and TL .585 extended. The 3 .585 chokes were neck and neck, all produced 140s with HW7, which is about perfect for a hunting pattern. The .585 TL ext seemed to give a little more even pattern with TSS and with my LH load is in the 290-300 range. I have recently picked up a Carlson Ext .585 and Hastings Ext .585 to try with the LH. The Carlson is exactly the same as the TL, but I need to pattern to verify if it patterns the same. It will prob be a bit before I get to test those last two chokes, but I'll let you know how they do.

As far as optics, mine is the turkey model and came drilled and tapped. Winchester will tell you that you have to use their base, but that's not true as a M700 front base lines up perfectly. I had a few wvr bases in the parts box, so first ran the gun with two M700 front bases with a Nikon Monarch 1.5-4.5x20 in Leupold rings. I later pulled that set-up and went with one wvr base on the rear holes with a FF3 using the included pic/wvr mount that came from Burris. If you get one that's not drilled and tapped, that's a simple $20 job to have two holes installed. I'd suggest 8-40 and buying Sumtoy's reflex base, then mounting either a FF or a Vortex.

The backbored bbl is fast, a good deal faster than a smaller bore. That's no real surprise as the fastest 12ga bbls I've ever chronoed were also BBd with the largest(835) being by far the fastest. My theory is the result is from reduced drag being that SGs peak out early on the PSI curve, but I may be wrong on that.

I like the gun and think you'll be happy.

Have a good one,

loder
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Teh interwebs were all atwitter over those slam-firing a while back. I would guess the issue has been resolved by now.
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Reloader »

howl wrote:Teh interwebs were all atwitter over those slam-firing a while back. I would guess the issue has been resolved by now.
The only complaints I saw were of the 12ga. Have you seen any on the 20s? The floating firing pin apparently had enough mass to set off a primer if you slammed the bolt home hard on the 12s. I'd assume the 20 FP is light enough that it doesn't do that. I know on my ARs the FP strikes the primer, but barely dents the harder cup AR primers.

One thing I forgot to mention about the SXP 20 is the fact that it's a speed pump design, just like the old 1300s. What that means is that it's an assisted ejection and you get the full force coming back when fired. You never want to have a finger behind the forearm and I'd personally never let a kid shoot it. It's a very fast pump when you get used to it, but it's nothing like a Moss or Rem. The only bad thing I've had happen on the 20ga SXP due to the SP design is that it short shucked itself on me in TX one day because I fired in an awkward position(hard right and I'm right handed). I didn't have a firm grip on the forearm, so it ejected the hull and the bolt came back just far enough to eject, but not far enough to cycle another shell and when it bounced off my shoulder due to the loose hold it slammed the bolt home locking it back. I sat there for a second trying like hell to eject the spent shell thinking it was jammed in the chamber and finally realized it was just locked back, so hit the button and shucked another round in. That's never happened to me with this gun or a 1300, so it's most likely just due to a poor hold in that position. The fact that 1-5/8oz heavy recoil rounds were at play could have contributed as well.
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

Thanks for the comments. I personally like a scope/red dot mounted as low as possible. Did you have to remove the open sights with the FFIII utilizing the pic/wvr base? From your comments, I assume that the turkey choke supplied w/ the gun didn't perform well. I've talked w/ a couple of folks who had the 12 gauge and they got good turkey hunting patterns w/ them ( 195-200 w/ H-13, 6's at 40 yards).
SumToy

Post by SumToy »

We got one brand new in the shop. We will be testing next few days. It should shoot alot like the BPS and somewhat like the SX3. It does have a little bigger back bore so it may want a bigger choke then most.
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

William,
Are you making a reflex base specifically for the 20 gauge SXP? I would appreciate any choke information which you generate. I'm currently getting @300-305 in the 10" at 40 yards w/ 1 5/8 oz TSS 9's, and 140 -145 w/ FEDHW 7's with your .562-5 in a Weatherby 459-TR w/ a 18 1/2" barrel.
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Reloader »

I removed the open sights just because I didn't plan on using them. The factory choke did 140swith HW7. I can't remember on TSS, but I ended up going with a TL .585. If you want to see high numbers with HW7 and TSS, try the cheap .570 Primos TW. It was way too tight for hunting with both shot types.
SumToy

Post by SumToy »

I will test fit one to see how it works. I think the Browning/Winchester guns will work good with 570 to the 580 for hunting. The ones we have seen in the 560 +/- are crazy. Now that one them you got to figure out what customers you dealing with but the 562 is one you can miss if you don't put a basketball on him at 40.
Fishmanmike

Post by Fishmanmike »

Thanks for the info. Just recently bought a SXP 20ga Longbeard.Love the stock. Put a ff111 on it on a weaver mount.Win 1300 works. Got chokes coming to try for tss.

Return to “Small Bore”