Small bore lead patterns

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
Gtown78

Small bore lead patterns

Post by Gtown78 »

I would like to see what you can do with lead. I have shot some decent patterns out of my 20 gauge with lead shot. Out to 30 yards it would be good maybe a couple yards further. This is with a fixed modified choke. Does anyone here still hunt with lead? I can't see spending all that money on HTL shot only to shoot 20 to 30 yards.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Small bore lead patterns

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I shot about every lead shell through about 10 different chokes, regardless they fell on their at 30 to 35 outta my 20.

Fed hws with the right choke will get u 40 and beyond
gobblegobblegobble

Post by gobblegobblegobble »

Shells are about the smallest expense you'll have each turkey season.

Now, I shot 7.5 shot dove loads from my new NEF build last night to sight it in... and it had a really good pattern at about 30 yards. But, that was from an aftermarket expensive choke. I guess it depends on where you want to spend your money.

I like pattern density. I want a decisive kill at 30 yards, not just a few pellets. With the availability of the Fed HWs, I don't see much reason to stay with lead... if you had a fixed full choke, you'd be better off... but with a modified, you're already handicapped in that area when it comes to patterns, and you're looking to introduce another handicap. Not to say that it won't kill turkeys... it will... but I feel you're swimming against the current.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Find a Charles Daly youth pump 20ga. Add a gobble stopper extreme. It will probably do 40 just fine with Win Supreme #5 lead.
creekbottomcurs

Post by creekbottomcurs »

Hand load of lead #6 at 40 yards. This one killed a jake at 49 steps last year. Gun is a sxs steoger condor 20ga ssx choke
Attachments
image.jpeg
creekbottomcurs

Same gun, slightly different load.
Attachments
image.jpeg
slickyboyboo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by slickyboyboo »

creekbottomcurs,

What wad were you able to fit 1.5 oz of #6s in? What velocity is that load, has that load been tested for pressure?
Raising my carbon footprint, one bag of charcoal at a time!
creekbottomcurs

I can fit that much in a vp92 but with steel the pressure is too high. I am currently using the CDS 20 and lil gun. I don't know the pressure but the load is on its way to be tested. Velocity at 2 feet from the choke is 1175fps
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

That's amazing performance for lead in a 20 ga, esp since you are not able to use any cushion. Those are good numbers for a 2 oz 12 ga load. But I will be shocked if it comes in under SAAMI pressure max at 1175 fps.
creekbottomcurs

The pink target is a BPI load. Its only 1 3/8 ounce of #6 in a vp92. The CDS 1 1/2 ounce load is that one I'm still working on.

Return to “Small Bore”