Youth 870 20ga Question

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Youth 870 20ga Question

Post by Southern Sportsman »

I know it’s fairly common to turn the youth 870s into turkey guns. I’m looking at doing the same. But what, if anything, do you do with the stock? Swap it out for a tactical stock or full size? I would think the factory youth stock would be too short for me to shoot comfortably.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Youth 870 20ga Question

Post by Hognutz »

I was always under the impression that it was just a matter of bolting on a full size stock to make it a non youth shotgun. I’m sure the bbl is a bit shorter, as well, but that’s probably a good thing. I have a camo youth but only use it when young ones come over to trap shoot.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Clydetaylor

Post by Clydetaylor »

Mine works fine. When you sit down and shoulder it,it fits fine. Mine has some spacers for the stock but I did not put them on. Could add a slide over butt pad.
jmart241

Post by jmart241 »

Left mine short also works really good while setting. Tried the spacers took them out
-DIRTNAP-

Post by -DIRTNAP- »

Another option maybe a shur shot
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

I have a Mossberg 500 youth, and I thought as you did, gonna be too short. I swapped out the stock for a full size tactical, and two minutes later I put the shorter factory stock right back on. Way more comfortable seated against a tree. I did add a Beartooth comb riser on it and that made it just perfect for the red dot.

Get it, try it. Can always add a regular length later.
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
BumbleFoot

Post by BumbleFoot »

paboxcall wrote: March 25th, 2019, 6:57 pm I have a Mossberg 500 youth, and I thought as you did, gonna be too short. I swapped out the stock for a full size tactical, and two minutes later I put the shorter factory stock right back on. Way more comfortable seated against a tree. I did add a Beartooth comb riser on it and that made it just perfect for the red dot.

Get it, try it. Can always add a regular length later.
Agreed. Can’t understand why anyone would put a full length stock on a compact/youth model used for turkey hunting. If you’re wanting to wing shoot with it, I understand as the factory stock set-up will fit very few adults. If you wanna truly compact turkey thumper, the micro stock is great.
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Southern Sportsman »

I’m not sure if it’s the way I shoulder and aim or if it’s some combination of arm length and neck length, but when I shoot even a standard length 870 for non-turkey applications it beats the hell out of me. My thumb knuckle sits just in front of my nose causing me to punch myself in the face. My duck gun is a SBE1 but I added spacers to lengthen the LOP about 1.5”. From my past experience, shooting a turkey load through a gun with a 12” LOP would likely be painful.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
Bustinbeards

Post by Bustinbeards »

I Put an ATI adjustable on mine. It gave it some weight in the butt end and helped with the balance. It is great, but heavier then the original stock.
Skimerhorn

Post by Skimerhorn »

I went shut shot
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Reloader »

You can buy spacers cheap from Remington’s website. I use them on mine and take them off for my boy.
MountNMan

Post by MountNMan »

I went Shur Shot too.
wmd

Post by wmd »

I just put a slip-on recoil pad on my son's 1187 Compact 20 when I shoot it at the range; nothing extra when hunting with it. I have an 870 Compact Jr. and replaced the factory 12" LOP stock with a Choate youth pistol grip stock; like others have said, I like the reduced youth-length LOP when hunting. When I shoot it at the range I put a slip-on recoil pad on it.
crenshawco

Post by crenshawco »

I've got a Knoxx adjustable on mine, and love it. I wish I had bought about 100 of them while they were being made. You could make a mint with them on ebay right now
britton40

Post by britton40 »

I went with a Phoenix Technology Kicklite AR style stock. Weighs a little more now but recoil is a lot milder.

tracker8320

Post by tracker8320 »

ATI- 3Image

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Wounded big game tracker with dogs...
Andy S.

Post by Andy S. »

Not sure what constitutes "youth", but I shoot an 870 Compact 20G with 21" bbl that came with spacers for adjusting LOP. Mine is setup for 13.5" LOP with the spacers that came in the box. It works well for me and I am 6' 2" with a long wingspan, generally speaking. It has same LOP as my full size 12G 870s, and feels the same, albeit a lot lighter and compact.
Andy S.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.
bullethead

Post by bullethead »

I have been using the 870 youth for years now. I added all of the extra spacers that came with the stock and it fits me well. I am 6ft+ and have a long arm span. Zero problems with the spacers.
Tungsten tinkerer from way back.

Return to “Small Bore”