Safety Issue with Scoped 835

Talk about 10 12 & 16 gauge shotguns here.
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Safety Issue with Scoped 835

Post by davisd9 »

I have a Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag with a Simmons Pro-Diamond scope on it. When using the gun I can very easily take the gun off safety but was having issues putting it back on safety after the shot because the scope was in the way. Overall it was not a big issue but there were times that I was not comfortable after shooting a bird and trying to get the gun back on safety. The safety was a bit stiff to begin with.

I started to search for a way to correct this problem and I am happy to say that I have found a safety that fixes my problem of shooting my 835 with a scope. ;D

I have heard others on different sites express the same trouble with their 835 and a scope so I am going to spread my fix to the situation.

The simple solution is a tactical safety from Brownells.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=4212 ... CAL-SAFETY

It says that it fits the Mossberg 500/590/930/935 but not the 835. I even submitted the question as to how would it fit the 935 but not the 835. They said it would not per the manufacturer.

Brownells has a 100% satisfaction guarantee for any reason so I decided to get it and try it out and it works great on the 835.

I hope that this helps other 835ers that want to or do use a scope on their turkey gun.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Safety Issue with Scoped 835

Post by timbrhuntr »

Interesting. I have the same gun and scope. I have had the gun since the 80's and have had the same scope on it for about 8 years with no problems. I use it with the turkey barrel for turkey and a rifled barrel for deer and it is quick and easy to take the safety on and off. But if was giving issues I'm glad you found a solution.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

I see it like this, some will not agree with me, but, I personally don't believe that you need a safety unless u messed with your trigger pull or installed a jewel ect. Its like keeping a concealed carry gun without a round in the chamber, at that point it becomes a paper weight. How many times have you accidentally pulled the trigger on a gun??? I never have. Just don't give the gun to a kid.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

On a side note You can buy the safety mod that puts the (longer) safety further back. My buddie got his out of a midway usa catalog.
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

Pistols and revolvers are made to be safe without a safety. The trigger pull of a pistol or revolver without a safety is a good deal more lbs than one with a safety. No disrespect, but if I was with you and I saw you were not using a safety than I would politely dismiss myself to hunt somewhere else. Good luck in your hunts and I hope you kill and big tom and come out safely!
YellaJacket

Post by YellaJacket »

Turkey Talker wrote:I see it like this, some will not agree with me, but, I personally don't believe that you need a safety unless u messed with your trigger pull or installed a jewel ect. Its like keeping a concealed carry gun without a round in the chamber, at that point it becomes a paper weight. How many times have you accidentally pulled the trigger on a gun??? I never have. Just don't give the gun to a kid.
You are right I disagree. Was you serious with that or just trying to stir up some folks? :scratch: Safetys are not fail safes but STILL need them. I can see if it was a backyard range gun only and it was kept in secure place.possibly getting by without a safety...just too many variables if it were to ever get into the wrong hands while in use on hunting grounds.
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

YellaJacket wrote:
Turkey Talker wrote:I see it like this, some will not agree with me, but, I personally don't believe that you need a safety unless u messed with your trigger pull or installed a jewel ect. Its like keeping a concealed carry gun without a round in the chamber, at that point it becomes a paper weight. How many times have you accidentally pulled the trigger on a gun??? I never have. Just don't give the gun to a kid.
You are right I disagree. Was you serious with that or just trying to stir up some folks? :scratch: Safetys are not fail safes but STILL need them. I can see if it was a backyard range gun only and it was kept in secure place.possibly getting by without a safety...just too many variables if it were to ever get into the wrong hands while in use on hunting grounds.
Indeed! You could be carrying that gun thru the brush and snag a tree limb inside the trigger guard. Why risk it?
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

Stinky J Picklestein wrote:
YellaJacket wrote:
Indeed! You could be carrying that gun thru the brush and snag a tree limb inside the trigger guard. Why risk it?
Amen!
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

Lmao! I do use a saftey while hunting. But I am just saying that in my military career of never having the saftey on, my concealed weapons, and at the range when the barrel is down range, I have never had an accidental missfire.
I know how easy a tree limb can get caught in there, but if your careful and keep your trigger covered, you'll be fine. How many point men with shotguns in vietnam had accidental discharges? I'm just saying. Personal preference is obvious to have a saftey, but that's just an opinion thrown out there. :lol:
For a second there I thought I was almost getting kicked off of OG all over again.

Anyone off this site that knows me and has hunted with me, knows that I always use a safety.
YellaJacket

Post by YellaJacket »

It's all good but having no safety isn't cool..ain't nobody out for blood or nothing, to each his own. I'm a gun loving 2 ammendment preaching dude myself.. so carry on...

Return to “Big Bore”