? about getting SBE original D&T

Talk about 10 12 & 16 gauge shotguns here.
Sloppy_Snood

Re: ? about getting SBE original D&T

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

The STEEL (corrected) is not brittle per se... just too thin on the top.

If you want a mount on that SBE, the only real solution is to drill on the curved sides of the receiver and mount a DaMar shotgun mount. Dave Klotz is the mount's creator, patent owner, and a certified gunsmith.

Trust me on this: have DaMar Gunsmiths in Weedsport, NY drill and tap for the mount. They designed it and have the jigs to drill and tap in the exact hole locations."

DaMar Gunsmiths
2686 E. Brutus Street
Weedsport, NY

Telephone: (315) 834-9156

FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Da-Mar-G ... 0567149303

Expect a bill of $150 with shipping. I have used them with no disappointments for three different Browning BPS shotguns.
Last edited by Sloppy_Snood on July 10th, 2018, 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
"You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?"- Bernadette Peters
DBLGBL

Post by DBLGBL »

Is this an original SBE 1 ? I have one that is drilled and tapped and another that is factory drilled and tapped. Funny thing everyone told me you can't drill the M2s. Guy who did my sbe said no. They are a benelli shop. Called benelli they said "Our performance guns come drilled and tapped" Called Rob Roberts he said I just did 1000 M2s last week we can do it for you. Mine's had a scope for at least 10 years.

2gbl
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

Don't the original SBE have a steel upper receiver?? I know it's a 2-piece (upper/lower) receiver. I have one in the safe...maybe I'll pull it out and look closer.
Ultimate Predator
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

SLOPPY HAS SPOKEN :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I have an original SBE that I had drilled and tapped. I had it done at a Gander Mountain in Brookfield, Wi.
I’m guessing that it can be done. Mine has had an Aimpoint on it for probably 20 years with zero problems. :dontknow:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

I've had an H&K, SBE since 1990, and there is no problem drilling and tapping the one-piece steel top receiver barrel assembly. The steel in the top receiver portion is significantly thicker than many of the alloy receivers on other shotguns and precludes the need for a saddle mount.
Sloppy_Snood

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

Aluminum, steel... no matter. They both can be drilled and tapped.

The DaMar mount is unique and is not a saddle mount (it does not use trigger group pins to attach it to the receiver).

The man to ask is Dave Klotz at DaMar. He knows more specifically about shotgun mounts than any gunsmith I know.

No matter if the receiver is thin or thick on top; aluminum or steel, the DaMar is a stronger mount because it has SIX screws that are longer can engage more threads in each drilled and tapped holes on the thicker, curved sides of a shotgun receiver. Aesthetics may or may not be an issue to a given person but this is the strongest, aftermarket shotgun mount setup I know of (save: 100% custom machined mounts).

Do as you wish. YMMV.
"You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?"- Bernadette Peters
Sloppy_Snood

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

NBK wrote: July 10th, 2018, 7:56 pmIs there anywhere I can see one of these mounts. His FB page doesn't look updated and no website?
Well you can see mine if it helps.... (12 gauge Browning BPS with 30" barrel INV + choke system).

Dave Klotz also told me that it is his standard practice to epoxy each of the 6 screws into the receiver. In short, consider it a permanently mounted mount. 8-)
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

I have a SBE that I bought in 2002. It is not the H&K model, and it was made before they came out with the SBE2. The receiver is some type of alloy, and it doesn't attract a magnet.

Jimmy McCollough, a gunsmith in Selma, AL, drilled and tapped it for me and I've taken the mount on and off a dozen times or more over the years with no problems. Good luck with it

Return to “Big Bore”