New to me gun

Talk about 10 12 & 16 gauge shotguns here.
Turkeydog708

New to me gun

Post by Turkeydog708 »

I’ve got a Lefever Nitro Special 12ga on the way with mod and full 26” barrels on the way! let’s see what tss 9s do of of her! Wish me luck
poorcountrypreacher

Re: New to me gun

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

That oughta be a really interesting project! Got any idea what year it was built? I think that all of those were built to shoot ammo with pressures similar to modern guns; still think I would try the lowest pressure recipe I could find.

I have tested 7 different sxs guns with TSS. Here is what I found with 6 of them - the right barrel shot to the right and the left barrel shot to the left. That's because they were all designed to shoot field loads and not the insanely heavy loads most of us use with TSS. On my other gun, it cross fired everything - left barrel shot to the right and right barrel to the left. That was just a flaw in the way they put it together. It was real easy to file the chokes and get it to center both barrels, and I have killed turkeys with it and use it as my backup gun.

I don't know how much you have used TSS, but most of us have discovered that we really don't need to throw 2 oz of shot at them. I use a 1 and 5/8 oz load in my 20 gauge, and I think it's overkill. But the gun will shoot both barrels to the same spot with that load, so I am through experimenting.

With your Lefever, I'd look for a 1.5 oz load with as low pressure as I could find. If the full choke barrel will center that load, then you are in business. You can file the choke of the modified barrel if you need to do it to make it shoot to the same POA. Filing degrades the pattern somewhat, but that might be a good thing in this case. It would be best if you can avoid filing the full choke; you don't wanna degrade it's pattern and it would be better to put some type of adjustable sighting system on it to accommodate the pattern not being perfectly centered.

If it shoots way off center, then having choke tubes installed might be the next step. You could then start with a much tighter choke and maybe it would still have a usable pattern after filing.

But who knows, you might be able to put in 2 oz loads and have both barrels center them perfectly. I hope you will keep us informed on how it does. The TSS sxs club doesn't have a lot of members, and most have developed mental issues. :)

Good luck with it!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

If I ever get another sxs I will be talking to PCP about setting it up lol

I have owned doubles over the years and like a dummy couldn’t see to the future and sold them.
2 in 20ga. Astra sxs and another Spanish made that I can’t remember the name of. Both would shoot 3” and would’ve loved taking them turkey killing.

Looking forward to hearing how the Nitro shoots
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Southern Sportsman »

hoobilly wrote: June 16th, 2018, 1:24 pm If I ever get another sxs I will be talking to PCP about setting it up lol
No doubt. Now that I have read his posts about choke filing I really wish I had never sold my O/U. Bottom barrel shot perfect POA and threw a great pattern, but the top barrel didn’t shoot to my liking. But it gives me hope for setting up another two-holer.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
Turkeydog708

Post by Turkeydog708 »

Welp, my Lefever got here and it’s in great shape and locks up tight. But there’s a small discrepancy it’s not a 12ga, the barrels aren’t marked but but I’ve tried 5 different brands of 2 3/4” 12ga shells and none would come close to fitting in the chamber. I’m thinking 16?
coconut

Post by coconut »

They are to big around or to long?
Turkeydog708

Post by Turkeydog708 »

Too big around
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Turkeydog708 wrote: June 26th, 2018, 9:58 pm Welp, my Lefever got here and it’s in great shape and locks up tight. But there’s a small discrepancy it’s not a 12ga, the barrels aren’t marked but but I’ve tried 5 different brands of 2 3/4” 12ga shells and none would come close to fitting in the chamber. I’m thinking 16?
well load some 16ga TSS!

BrowningGuy88

Post by BrowningGuy88 »

I'd break out the mic's and make sure exactly what it is... And Then... Load some 16 gauge TSS!~!!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

BrowningGuy88 wrote: June 27th, 2018, 5:18 am I'd break out the mic's and make sure exactly what it is... And Then... Load some 16 gauge TSS!~!!
:LMAO:

Yep better do that first

Yule

Post by Yule »

I had a similar experience. Recently picked up an old A5- Browning with an FN barrel. I assumed it was a 12.... nowhere on the gun can I find a gauge. Ends up that it's a 16 with a 2.5" chamber. It likes TSS - 9.5's
coconut

Post by coconut »

I have never bought the wrong gauge before. I’m kinda particular I guess. :D
Turkeydog708

Post by Turkeydog708 »

coconut wrote: June 27th, 2018, 8:46 am I have never bought the wrong gauge before. I’m kinda particular I guess. :D
I certainly didn’t buy the wrong gauge in person, I bought off gunbroker from a dealer in Texas. I’ve done a lot of ignorant stuff in my day but handling a firearm and buying it without knowing what I had ain’t one of em
coconut

Post by coconut »

I bet 16 is worth more. Probably more scarce. Let us know how it shoots
Turkeydog708

Post by Turkeydog708 »

That’s what I was thinking too coconut, I miked the chambers and it’s a 16. Just need to get some 16ga components

Return to “Big Bore”