TIGHTER CHOKE FOR 12 GAUGE FEDERAL TSS???

Talk about 10 12 & 16 gauge shotguns here.
SKFOOTER

TIGHTER CHOKE FOR 12 GAUGE FEDERAL TSS???

Post by SKFOOTER »

Has anyone found that the 12 gauge Federal TSS #9 load requires a tighter constriction choke than the Apex or Nitro TSS loads, due to the Flight Control Wad in the Federal loads??
big6

Re: TIGHTER CHOKE FOR 12 GAUGE FEDERAL TSS???

Post by big6 »

Yesterday I shot 3 patterns with Federal 12 ga 3" 9's. I used Trulock .640" made for that load, Jebs .660" and Indian Creek .665". All patterns were from a bench at 50 yards. NO significant different. Pellets count ranged from 135- 140 from all 3 chokes. I like the pattern best from the Jebs but not significant.
SKFOOTER

Post by SKFOOTER »

I’m getting 400+ in the 10” @ 40 yds. With those 3” Federal 9’s thru a Carlson’s.640 in my 1187.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

I imagine that since the federal version of tss is softer and pliable with pliers, that it would shoot a tighter choke than say Tommy’s TSS or Apex’s
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

hoobilly wrote: April 9th, 2018, 9:12 am I imagine that since the federal version of tss is softer and pliable with pliers, that it would shoot a tighter choke than say Tommy’s TSS or Apex’s
Interesting. I hadn't heard that.
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Southern Sportsman »

Spuriosity wrote: April 9th, 2018, 9:39 am
hoobilly wrote: April 9th, 2018, 9:12 am I imagine that since the federal version of tss is softer and pliable with pliers, that it would shoot a tighter choke than say Tommy’s TSS or Apex’s
Me neither. Not sure how that would be so unless they are using a different cheeper tungsten alloy?
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by el diablo »

The only thing that I have heard was that the actual wad was softer and more pliable than the old flight control wad.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Southern Sportsman wrote: April 9th, 2018, 10:45 am
Me neither. Not sure how that would be so unless they are using a different cheeper tungsten alloy?
Exactly my thoughts. Several fellows have take. The shells apart and smashed them with pliers. The tungsten were all getting will put a dent into a hammer and anvil when you hit it. 😂

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Southern Sportsman wrote: April 9th, 2018, 10:45 am
Exactly my thoughts. Several fellows have take. The shells apart and smashed them with pliers. The tungsten were all getting will put a dent into a hammer and anvil when you hit it. 😂

willie

Post by willie »

seems to me if you are choking a flight control wad more you are defeating the purpose of flight control wad. :dontknow:
SKFOOTER

Post by SKFOOTER »

willie wrote: April 9th, 2018, 12:43 pm seems to me if you are choking a flight control wad more you are defeating the purpose of flight control wad. :dontknow:
Thats what has to be done with the 12 gauge Flight Control Wad to get decent patterns for turkey hunting.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

willie wrote: April 9th, 2018, 12:43 pm seems to me if you are choking a flight control wad more you are defeating the purpose of flight control wad. :dontknow:
I've patterned 20 g hw7 through a pile of chokes. I assume this new wad is soft like the 20 vs the 12 g was in hws. The tighter I choked my core got better.

It may sound stupid but you were trying to override the wad for better patterns.
SKFOOTER

Post by SKFOOTER »

Exactly!
PennBirdy

Post by PennBirdy »

I shot my 11-87 21” barreled gun today with 3” federal #9’s and a .640 Carlson’s and was very happy with the results at 40. Not overly super tight and a smooth even pattern.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

PennBirdy wrote: April 21st, 2018, 7:37 pm I shot my 11-87 21” barreled gun today with 3” federal #9’s and a .640 Carlson’s and was very happy with the results at 40. Not overly super tight and a smooth even pattern.
pictures?

PennBirdy

Post by PennBirdy »

http://i66.tinypic.com/35iy5hw.jpg

Shot was a touch high. Like I said, very happy with it. Just the regular Carlson’s .640. Not the new tss version. Not too into counting numbers, so not sure how many are in the 10” and 20” or whatever.
10gaugemag

Post by 10gaugemag »

I like it. Aim at the waddles and pound that head with shot.

No shot in the breast then!!
PennBirdy

Post by PennBirdy »

I did put her to work 2 weeks ago on a bird that was much further than I thought when stepped off. Watched his head roll back and rap off his back like you took a baseball bat to it. Very happy with the results. I understand why guys get very into the tss!

Return to “Big Bore”