Roll crimp lead load

Talk about 10 12 & 16 gauge shotguns here.
coconut

Roll crimp lead load

Post by coconut »

Has anyone had very much success roll crimping lead loads? By success I mean getting loads that pattern substantially better than factory loads.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Roll crimp lead load

Post by Turkinator »

I've rolled a bunch of dove loads but as far as lead for gobblers I doubt you could greatly improve on the longbeards. That being said, I don't see why your roll crimped standard lead turkey loads wouldn't be as good or better than factory.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Experimented a lot, and was able to equal but not beat conventional lead loads from Winchester. No way you can touch LBs.
coconut

Post by coconut »

What is the resin in longbeards made of? What will happen if they add that to there tss loads?
southpaw

Post by southpaw »

Not sure what lead loads you are talking about. Long beards have put up great numbers at 40 for me. The problem I have with them is the pattern is not much bigger than a baseball/softball at 25 yards. That is great if you are only shooting birds at 40+. My reloads with #4 and #5 shot put less in the 10 at 40 but fill out the 20 and have some out side of that. The closer ranges look more like the lb at 40. I killed a bird at 53 with my load (I thought it was at my 40 mark, it wasn't). I just might have to roll some of mine to see if it helps. But then again I am pretty happy with what they are doing. That being said I did just take the jump to tss, 20 and 410. We shall see how it goes.

Jerry Jr.
southpaw

Post by southpaw »

coconut wrote: February 18th, 2018, 8:35 am What is the resin in longbeards made of? What will happen if they add that to there tss loads?
My understanding was that buffer filled the area between the shot thus reducing deformation of the pellets during their transition from the hull to the end of the choke. I have read from those that reclaim tss that most is as it was before it was shot with the exception of a few that had a dimple and that was thought to have been caused by being hit by other tss shot. I have not shot any tss shells yet tho I intend to try both buffered and non buffered loads to find the load that suits me.

If buffered tss loads pattern better I am curios as to why, or atleast the theories. 99% of my loads have been fired at clays and they are not that hard to bread, for the most part...

Jerry Jr.

Oh, to answer your question. If it does to the tss what it did to the lead you are looking at shooting a slug until it gets past the 40 mark. Not sure it will make that much difference tho.

Return to “Big Bore”