Need help with my Benelli SBE 1

Talk about 10 12 & 16 gauge shotguns here.
ehgbyf

Need help with my Benelli SBE 1

Post by ehgbyf »

My super black eagle 1 shoots low and to the right. I thought it was the turkey choke so I got a new Indian creek and it still shot low and to the left. Shoots the same wayward a modified choke.

Does anybody know which shim would fix this or have any other ideas?
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Need help with my Benelli SBE 1

Post by GLS »

Red dot or rifled sights.
ehgbyf

Post by ehgbyf »

I don't want to use red dot or rifle sights sorry I left that part out. This will be a spare gun for friends to use but I use it for wing shooting and don't have time to mess with sights every spring
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Sights. When wing shooting fit and shims work. When sighting down a vent rib and a bead sight shims won't help. You can have what you want, but sometimes a small sacrifice is needed.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Benellis are notorious for not shooting to point of aim. Adjustable sights or have the bbl. bent. I went with an Aimpoint.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

You should have gotten a bunch of shims with the gun if you bought it new, and that will straighten it out if you are willing to spend a little time working on it. I bought mine new in 2003 just before they came out with the SBE2 and mine has been a great shotgun. It shoots straight for me with everything from dove loads to heavy turkey loads. I hit doves better with it than any gun I've ever used.

Don't doubt that the shims can straighten it out. I think you are gonna need to a shim that is wider at the bottom than the top, and widen it on the right side as well. That may be backward. If you don't have shims, let me know and I will see if I can find mine. I will never need them.

As an example of the difference the stock can make in POI, I had an 870 Supermag with the Sure Shot stock and hated it. That thing hurt my thumb with every shot. I found a cheap standard stock on the Remington close-out page and bought it for $20 or so. The camo didn't quite match, but it didn't match originally anyway. That solved my problem with my thumb, but the gun shot about 5" to one side from the previous POI. I couldn't believe that changing the stock could make that much difference, but it did. The proper shim should do the same thing. Good luck!

edit: Here's a link to a discussion of your problem. This board has a lot of threads on it. One guy used cheap washers instead of a custom shim, but you can customize a shim with a grinder. All sorts of possibilities on how to accomplish it, but its all about the stock and the way recoil affects it. Recoil is the reason my sxs Yildiz won't shoot straight. It will perfectly center field loads; that's what it was made to do. The heavy loads have too much recoil and it shoots to the side. There is always a way to correct POI problems; just gotta be willing to work with it.
http://forums.benelliusa.com/archive/in ... 13228.html
Last edited by poorcountrypreacher on May 1st, 2016, 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ehgbyf

Post by ehgbyf »

Thanks Guys. It now makes sense why i can smoke clays and birds with this gun but have never been able to get it to work for turkey hunting. I did get a Indian Creek 665 and the pattern at 40 yards with #8 TSS is awesome. I will just have to use sights. For some reason Indian Creek is the only choke i have ever got to give me awesome results with turkey loads.

Thanks for answering my dumb question. I have been shooting all of my life and never thought about the difference in wing shooting (pointing) and turkey shooting (aiming).

I guess I will let mr friends borrow my heavy 12 gauge citori with 28" barrels that has rifle sights. It is the best patterning turkey gun I have ever shot.

Return to “Big Bore”