deep cleaning and polishing.

Talk about 10 12 & 16 gauge shotguns here.
gobbler83

Post by gobbler83 »

Ive got a 835 and im wanting to deep clean and polish what are the supplies that i need? And does it really help. Im reloading tss 8.5 and i just want to get my moneys worth out of it.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: deep cleaning and polishing.

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Deep cleaning has done more for patterning than: htl, new chokes, resin etc
RapscallionVermilion

Post by RapscallionVermilion »

I have not done any polishing, but the deep cleaning really helps.
Clark (allaboutshooting) has some good info.
WV Ridge Reaper
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by WV Ridge Reaper »

I polished a mossberg 500 20 gauge few years ago,and my patterns went down hill.

Now deep cleaning,I'm a firm believer.

I'll brush until my arm hurts then leave it sit for a hour or so and hit it again.

As said Clark Bush has a write up and that's what I follow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword
gobbler83

Post by gobbler83 »

Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

gobbler83 wrote:Is this a good method?http://allaboutshooting.com/blogs/blog/ ... gun-barrel
Yes!
trap4fur

Post by trap4fur »

I polished my 835 and shot like sh@@ I ended up buying an other 835 and only deep cleaned it as clark said to do and have been all the time and it improved the pattern and it's a lot easier
oldcountry

Post by oldcountry »

I deep cleaned mine and totally wrecked my patterns. Took a bunch of rounds to get it back right. Sometimes it helps sometimes it doesn't. Just have to try and see. I'm sure glad I didn't polish it.

Sent from my Z899VL using Tapatalk

ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

A deep cleaning is no more than Hoppes Bore Cleaning directions. If you really want to improve your patterns you need Cleaning and polish your barrel with Non- Embedding Bore Cleaner and Kroil oil combo. Before Clark Bush had been suggesting his deep cleaning method I have been cleaning all of my guns in that matter. But that never improved my patterns. When I cleaned and polished my barrel with the Non-Embedding Bore Cleaner and Kroil will a brush and cleaning pads my patterns improved.
Mike
mspaci

Post by mspaci »

good quality barrels shouldn't need polishing
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

Which barrels are the quality barrels you are referring too?
Mike
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

oldcountry wrote: March 25th, 2018, 9:13 pm I deep cleaned mine and totally wrecked my patterns. Took a bunch of rounds to get it back right. Sometimes it helps sometimes it doesn't. Just have to try and see. I'm sure glad I didn't polish it.

Sent from my Z899VL using Tapatalk
Honing a barrel will always improve patterns. Honing removes imperfections and ripples in barrels. How it shoots clean or dirty is another matter
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

Yep
Mike
bullethead

Post by bullethead »

This new fancy "deep cleaning" was always considered a regular cleaning for me. The best place to start testing and finish the season is with a clean barrel regardless of firearm.
Tungsten tinkerer from way back.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

bullethead wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 9:57 am This new fancy "deep cleaning" was always considered a regular cleaning for me. The best place to start testing and finish the season is with a clean barrel regardless of firearm.
I agree. Honestly barrels that shoot better fouled drives me nuts. How fouled, how many rounds til deteriorated. Where as with a clean dry it eliminates that variable
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Better is the enemy of good enough. Honing removes metal and that metal could be the thin chrome lining that protects the bore from worse problems than a pattern that is good enough. Gil
kythunter

Post by kythunter »

gobbler83 wrote: April 14th, 2016, 10:47 am Ive got a 835 and im wanting to deep clean and polish what are the supplies that i need? And does it really help. Im reloading tss 8.5 and i just want to get my moneys worth out of it.
gobbler 83 save your money and spend it on shot and components vs. deep cleaning supplies, this is just my opinion. I see no advantage when it comes to deep cleaning for TSS this stuff patterns great without anything "fancy". Me and several buddies shoot TSS hand loads thru large bores and none of us "deep clean or polish" the barrels. We do clean the barrel and action but no deep clean or polish. A simple regular clean and my barrel looks like a mirror inside. You'll get great results with TSS 8.5 focus on loading shells and your guns POA/POI. Some of our guns shoot just as well with a dirty barrel although I do run a bore snake between shots. Good luck and have fun.
Fullfan

Post by Fullfan »

I have never " deep cleaned " any of my turkey guns. Have run a bore snake and a brush w patches through them. Have always had great patterns, but my guns are only shot several times each spring.
firedup

Post by firedup »

I have cleaned and polished several over the years. It is just MY experience that it was a lot more important and effective in the days of "all lead". Since HTL hit the scene with crazy good patterns, I found the improvements in pattern to be marginal enough that its just not that important to ME anymore.
bullethead

Post by bullethead »

Some wads REALLY shed plastic in the bore and even more so with consecutive shots. While boresnakes are marvelous and get a lot of crap out of the barrel I am always amazed at how a good cleaning with solvent, a bronze brush and patches do to get out even more plastic even when the barrel looks clean to the eye.

I never polish chrome lined barrels but I have noticed that non chromed barrels seem to foul less and hold less plastic after a polish with a green scrubbie coated with JB bore paste and wrapped around an undersize broze brush. Chuck a cleaning rod up to a drill, screw on the scrubbie/brush/JB and use a lot of Kroil down the barrel. Mark the rod to stay ahead of the chamber and keep it moving never staying in one spot more than to change directions. I'll go back and forth with a cylinder choke in it for 15 minutes only stopping to add some more Kroil. Then spray the bbl out with Brake Cleaner or Gun Scrubber to get most of the slurry out and clean as normal with solvent, brush and patches. It takes out any microscopic roughness and built up fouling in the pores. The bronze brush/scrubbie is nowhere near as hard as barrel steel but way harder than plastic and powder fouling.
Like I said earlier, the barrels that I've done that to foul up less quickly. Patterns either stayed the same or improved in evenness slightly with all else being equal in choke and load.
deerhunt1988

Post by deerhunt1988 »

I deep cleaned my 870 for the first time prior to the start of this season. Man was it fouled up... And my results? Worse with the freshly cleaned barrel, right back to where it was before after 4-5 shots.
coconut

Post by coconut »

I scrubbed one of my guns with the brass brush much longer and more vigorously than ever and it shot better, tried it on a second gun and it shot better. Ended up scrubbing about 5 of them but didn’t shoot but 2. Interesting that it works for some barrels and not others. Always been a mystery to me how two guns that are supposed to be identical can consistently pattern so much differently. Wish I completely understood everything that was happening with a barrel to cause this.
bullethead

Post by bullethead »

Some guns do like a bit of fouling in the barrel. It happens for a variety of reasons. But, a super clean barrel to start with lets the test base be the same when patterning and it makes the barrel a heck of a lot easier to clean afterwards.

If firing 2 or 3 field loads down a spotless bore gets better patterns then I say clean then bang, bang ,bang and test. Then clean, bang, bang ,bang, and hunt. Clean spotless again after the season.
bullethead

Post by bullethead »

coconut wrote: June 23rd, 2018, 9:57 am I scrubbed one of my guns with the brass brush much longer and more vigorously than ever and it shot better, tried it on a second gun and it shot better. Ended up scrubbing about 5 of them but didn’t shoot but 2. Interesting that it works for some barrels and not others. Always been a mystery to me how two guns that are supposed to be identical can consistently pattern so much differently. Wish I completely understood everything that was happening with a barrel to cause this.
Internal barrel dimensions and finishes vary greatly for many reasons. Whatever brand new hone was used to start with gets worn down with every barrel it goes through. Every chamber reamer loses a minute amount of its own material on every pass. Idk if they do ten, a hundred or a thousand barrels for each reamer and hone. And while one barrel is being done with one hone and reamer there are truckloads of other barrels being done with other hones and reamers. All the barrels and chambers will end up within acceptable standards, but even if one barrel is made right after the one before it using the same equipment, it can and usually will vary dimensionally. That internal difference of a hundred thousandth could mean the difference of the wad getting a perfect seal while clean and needing some fouling to achieve that seal.

Get a new batch of wads and a barrel that liked it clean may like it dirty because that next lot of wads are a thousandth different than the last.

Times all that by a couple dozen other factors and the only thing consistent about firearms and components is that they are all inconsistent.

Throw some rifling in a bore and it gets even worse.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

bullethead wrote: June 23rd, 2018, 10:50 am Internal barrel dimensions and finishes vary greatly for many reasons. Whatever brand new hone was used to start with gets worn down with every barrel it goes through. Every chamber reamer loses a minute amount of its own material on every pass. Idk if they do ten, a hundred or a thousand barrels for each reamer and hone. And while one barrel is being done with one hone and reamer there are truckloads of other barrels being done with other hones and reamers. All the barrels and chambers will end up within acceptable standards, but even if one barrel is made right after the one before it using the same equipment, it can and usually will vary dimensionally. That internal difference of a hundred thousandth could mean the difference of the wad getting a perfect seal while clean and needing some fouling to achieve that seal.

Get a new batch of wads and a barrel that liked it clean may like it dirty because that next lot of wads are a thousandth different than the last.

Times all that by a couple dozen other factors and the only thing consistent about firearms and components is that they are all inconsistent.

Throw some rifling in a bore and it gets even worse.
and thats exactly why no two guns shoot exactly the same. same shell, same choke, 2 of the same shotguns and they will shoot differently.

like you stated, rifle barrels will be different, one made right after the other and all things identical, won't group the same and may like a totally different bullet weight to boot.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/

Return to “Big Bore”