10 gauge 2.5-3oz Lead loads

Talk about 10 12 & 16 gauge shotguns here.
10ga.

10 gauge 2.5-3oz Lead loads

Post by 10ga. »

I was just curious if anyone had any experience with heavy lead loads for the 10ga. I've got data from the BPI manuals that call for steel and blue dot and 2.5oz lead around 1030-1100fps. I know nitrocompany offers a 3oz. lead load for the 10ga. I'm thinking 2400 or lil gun might work as far as powder goes, but I can't find a single load using them. I think I'm going to load some up and send them off to the lab. Can anybody give me a starting point on a 2.5oz or greater load? Thanks
slickyboyboo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: 10 gauge 2.5-3oz Lead loads

Post by slickyboyboo »

10ga. wrote:I was just curious if anyone had any experience with heavy lead loads for the 10ga. I've got data from the BPI manuals that call for steel and blue dot and 2.5oz lead around 1030-1100fps. I know nitrocompany offers a 3oz. lead load for the 10ga. I'm thinking 2400 or lil gun might work as far as powder goes, but I can't find a single load using them. I think I'm going to load some up and send them off to the lab. Can anybody give me a starting point on a 2.5oz or greater load? Thanks
I believe 2400 and Lil Gun are going to be a bit slow for that heavy of a load in a 10 ga. Look into some Accurate #9, it is very dense at 15.221 gr/cc, and has a burn rate approximately in the middle between Lil gun and Blue Dot.
Raising my carbon footprint, one bag of charcoal at a time!
Tripplebeards

Post by Tripplebeards »

Old thread but I found a youtube guy loading 3oz with 45 grains of lil gun. Says the load came from Hal Abbot. It’s claimed to to be lower in pressure and around 1200 fps. I loaded two to try with copper plated number #5’s because I had some lil gun laying around. Gonna try them out of my Gold with a pattern master code black turkey tube. I would assume it won’t pattern that great being there is going to be a lot of shot fighting each other going down the barrel. Loaded one with a mega metal wad and one with a PBD wad. Both are pre slit. I had to cut down my federal hulls a good quarter inch to get to cycle in my gun. The MM was is .2” taller than a federal factory fold crimp and the BPD wad is .1” taller. I’ll try them both at 40 yards and see if they pattern worth a darn or if I’m wasting a lot of extra shot.

I used my four pin roller and sealed them up with some clear nail polish to hopefully waterproof them and make my overshot card a little bit more sturdy with that heavy payload.

The factory fold crimp is the one on the right.

[/url]]

https://i.imgur.com/CFYlOMz.jpg
Casey Napier

Post by Casey Napier »

Keep us informed on how they shoot! I am loading 3oz of 9 TSS and getting unbelievable patterns. Curious how the lead does?

Thanks
Casey
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Makes my neck and shoulder hurt just reading about it.
Hartman99

Post by Hartman99 »

Man I'd love some info on that 3oz #9 tss load
puppy

Post by puppy »

I shot a BPS 10 ga with the Nitro 3 oz loads for about 10 yrs., if killed on both ends and I was obviously dumb as a brick back then! I then went to the Nitro Hevi shot load with 2.5 oz and it was an even better killer but still kicked like a mule. I shoot a 20 ga now and don't miss carrying a fence post thru the woods or getting the crap kicked out of me every time I pull the trigger.
JMO but an easy on the shoulder 2 oz TSS load in a 10 ga would still be overkill if you have some wish to carry it.
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

"Dumb as a brick"? Back in the 80's, I patterned my Ithaca Mag 10 , vent rib, Roadbocker, w/ a Jes Briley custom turkey choke, with my 2 1/2 ounce reloads of nickel plated 4's. I shot the loads off my shoulder 16 times. Both eyes were blackened and my right eye was swollen shut. My wife was in attendance and her only comment was, "You're an idiot". The gun/shell combo "killed on both ends" and I found someone who wanted the blaster more than I did. I've only carried a 12 gauge once in the last 5 years, since I discovered that 1 5/8 of TSS out of a 20 gauge is all I need. Looking back at patterning notes from the 80's, the 20 gauge w/ TSS patterns better at 60 yards than the 2 1/2 ounce loads out of the 10 gauge. Hopefully, "We learn by doing".
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

3# oz TSS, man that's a waste of a lot of shot! I wouldn't shoot more than 1 5/8th oz. persoanlly, but you could even say that is a waste! Been wanting to try a 1 1/4 oz load I have the recipe for. Performance has been so good with the 1 5/8th I just have not loaded any yet.

I remember back in the day shooting a 2 1/4 oz lead load from and 835, ouch, and then walking up to the target and thinking really that's it? Not worth the abuse!

Return to “Big Bore”