835 and TSS

Talk about 10 12 & 16 gauge shotguns here.
wvmntnhick

835 and TSS

Post by wvmntnhick »

Well, I'm at a bit of a crossroad. I'd bought a sumtoy choke a while back thinking I'd never use anything other than hevi shot and then later switched to the Winchester LB's. Didn't matter. Gun shot fine with both. Now, I'm going to be loading TSS and have zero desire to shoot 3-4 loads outta this choke to find out it doesn't like the .670 restriction. It's a 2 ounce load and with only getting 8 shots per pound, I don't wanna waste it. Any affordable choke recommendations would be appreciated. Was looking at a carlsons turkey choke in the .705 range but if it needs more or less constriction, I'm all ears. Thanks ahead of time.
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: 835 and TSS

Post by el diablo »

What's your barrel length? My brother's 835 throws awesome patterns with a .720 Indian creek waterfowl choke. It also does well with .717 hastings flush choke. The .705 may work for you, but it blew patterns with my brother's. His has a 20" barrel.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Suck it up. Once you find your choke you are done. No shortcuts. Shoot till you find the one. Trulock and Carlsons work well. The longer the barrel the less constriction is normally needed.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
BuckyT

Post by BuckyT »

I was in the same boat you are with my 20ga this year. Took me 3 chokes to figure out which one was working the best.

You're going to have to send some $$ down range to figure it out.

Today I shot into an old fiber glass porta potty. I retrieved over 60 pellets out of it. :D
gobbler83

Post by gobbler83 »

I was looking on indian creeks website and i couldnt find the .720 i found a 710 745 and 755. I may have to call.
fountain

Post by fountain »

first and foremost...build a pellet trap
tubecaller10

Post by tubecaller10 »

Shoot the sumtoy before you try something else. A Rhino 695 does well for me with TSS and Nitros.
Grunt-N-Gobble

Post by Grunt-N-Gobble »

Question...........

As a general rule, do the short barreled 835's shoot better with tighter constriction chokes or with more open chokes? Shooting Hevishot, or HW or TSS.
bigwied

Post by bigwied »

I had the sumtoy .675 choke with my 835 and it shot tss very good never counted the numbers but it threw a good pattern at 40 .
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

GnG
As a general rule the longer the barrel the less constriction you have to have to get good patterns it's certainly not a guarantee. Also as a general rule TSS needs less constriction than other shots to get the good patterns you will be looking for.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
Grunt-N-Gobble

Post by Grunt-N-Gobble »

Thanks JD. My fathers 835 is a little finicky and I feel it's due to the short barrel. Not sure what the length is, but it's gotta be the shortest one they make. He's got a great choke for it......... The famous Stardot and while it throws a semi decent pattern with Hevishot, it's nothing to write home about.

I'd love to get a longer barrel for it, but finding one in the same CAMO pattern has proven difficult. I did find one that would fit 2 weeks ago, but CAMO was wrong.
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by el diablo »

Grunt-N-Gobble wrote:Thanks JD. My fathers 835 is a little finicky and I feel it's due to the short barrel. Not sure what the length is, but it's gotta be the shortest one they make. He's got a great choke for it......... The famous Stardot and while it throws a semi decent pattern with Hevishot, it's nothing to write home about.

I'd love to get a longer barrel for it, but finding one in the same CAMO pattern has proven difficult. I did find one that would fit 2 weeks ago, but CAMO was wrong.
Is your Father going to be using TSS? 20" barrel does awesome with IC .710 and IC .720. Also does very well with .717 Hastings flush.
This pattern was with 1 oz of 9's 1 oz of 8.5's. 394 in 10" 237 in 20"
Attachments
e5yjy3uh.jpg
Grunt-N-Gobble

Post by Grunt-N-Gobble »

el diablo wrote:
Grunt-N-Gobble wrote:Thanks JD. My fathers 835 is a little finicky and I feel it's due to the short barrel. Not sure what the length is, but it's gotta be the shortest one they make. He's got a great choke for it......... The famous Stardot and while it throws a semi decent pattern with Hevishot, it's nothing to write home about.

Is your Father going to be using TSS? 20" barrel does awesome with IC .710 and IC .720. Also does very well with .717 Hastings flush.
This pattern was with 1 oz of 9's 1 oz of 8.5's. 394 in 10" 237 in 20"
Well, I could get him shooting TSS next year. He already has an IC choke, but I don't think it's a .710 or .720. Our season starts on Saturday and I doubt we'll get any chance to pattern here in May.

I'll have to look into those chokes.

Return to “Big Bore”