mossberg 835 turkey gun

Talk about 10 12 & 16 gauge shotguns here.
gobbler83

mossberg 835 turkey gun

Post by gobbler83 »

Hello this is my first year of turkey hunting or at least being really serious about it. I just bought a 835 with 24 inch barrel I really like it. The only shells my local store had was some Hevi Shot magnum blend in 4 5 7. it didn't really pattern that well at 40 yards with the factory choke. what do you guys recommend for chokes with this load? they are suppose to be getting some nitro in at some point but they really didn't know when. ive looked at rhino jelly head indian creek and the hevi choke on the internet. just wondering if you might could give a little info on what to try. I understand every gun is different and ive almost waited to long to be testing different loads and chokes. turkey season opens in a couple of weeks here. thanks in advance.
tubecaller10

Re: mossberg 835 turkey gun

Post by tubecaller10 »

gobbler83 wrote:Hello this is my first year of turkey hunting or at least being really serious about it. I just bought a 835 with 24 inch barrel I really like it. The only shells my local store had was some Hevi Shot magnum blend in 4 5 7. it didn't really pattern that well at 40 yards with the factory choke. what do you guys recommend for chokes with this load? they are suppose to be getting some nitro in at some point but they really didn't know when. ive looked at rhino jelly head indian creek and the hevi choke on the internet. just wondering if you might could give a little info on what to try. I understand every gun is different and ive almost waited to long to be testing different loads and chokes. turkey season opens in a couple of weeks here. thanks in advance.
Rhino 695 with nitro 517 4x5x7. I'm hitting 290s at 40 yards in 10" circle.
Mag blends did okay but nitro smoked them.
gobbler83

Post by gobbler83 »

tubecaller10 wrote:
gobbler83 wrote:Hello this is my first year of turkey hunting or at least being really serious about it. I just bought a 835 with 24 inch barrel I really like it. The only shells my local store had was some Hevi Shot magnum blend in 4 5 7. it didn't really pattern that well at 40 yards with the factory choke. what do you guys recommend for chokes with this load? they are suppose to be getting some nitro in at some point but they really didn't know when. ive looked at rhino jelly head indian creek and the hevi choke on the internet. just wondering if you might could give a little info on what to try. I understand every gun is different and ive almost waited to long to be testing different loads and chokes. turkey season opens in a couple of weeks here. thanks in advance.
Where can I find some nitros?
tubecaller10

Post by tubecaller10 »

gobbler83 wrote:
tubecaller10 wrote:
Where can I find some nitros?
http://www.nitrocompany.com
Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

Carlson's .675 ported choke will get you about 170 in that 10" circle at 40 yards and costs about $25 or so on Ebay last time I looked. Shoots the MagBlends better than my Rhino .695.
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
gobbler83

Post by gobbler83 »

Can you order directly from nitro
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

mossberg 835 turkey gun

Post by davisd9 »

Numbers look great but a lot of birds are missed with big number patterns. If you are getting 180 in 10" with mag blends at 40 in which the pattern is even then go kill birds.

835s usually like a choke between .670 -.680.

Sent from the Strut Zone
tubecaller10

Post by tubecaller10 »

gobbler83 wrote:Can you order directly from nitro
Have to call them and order shells they don't have an online store.
mossy835

Post by mossy835 »

Carlson's choke below works great for me and it also does well with the Dead Coyote loads from HeviShot!

http://www.choketube.com/choke-tube-pro ... ubes&mf=15

Mossberg M835/M935 Extended Turkey Choke Tubes
Part number 19871 Turkey* .690

Not for steel shot!
gobbler83

Post by gobbler83 »

I ended up just ordered a indian creek black Diamond. I'll give it a try maybe it will work. I've got 3 boxes of the magnum blends. I learned real quick with the mossy. You better hold on tight cause it will JAR you. I had a SBE 2 but I had to sell it when I got married for some money it was more forgiving on 3.5's. But something about the 835 I really like.
The Mossberg Mauler

Post by The Mossberg Mauler »

That combo should serve you well. Good luck with it.
No Need To Count Holes In Paper. My Mossberg And Lead Kill'em Dead!!!!

I've wined and dined with Kings and Queens, and I've slept in the alley eating pork and beans.

Fox Trot Pro Staff Wannabe
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

gobbler83 wrote:I ended up just ordered a indian creek black Diamond. I'll give it a try maybe it will work. I've got 3 boxes of the magnum blends. I learned real quick with the mossy. You better hold on tight cause it will JAR you. I had a SBE 2 but I had to sell it when I got married for some money it was more forgiving on 3.5's. But something about the 835 I really like.
I loved my SBE's... both stolen them jerks

that IndianCreek is a good choke.. pair the ammo with it and your gonna kill gobblers for a long time

let us know how it shoots on paper and toms head :thumbup:
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
gobbler83

Post by gobbler83 »

I went to bass pro today and picked up a set of truglo magnum gobble dot pro series sights and a limbsaver saver recoil pad. Man are the sights a big improvement. I actually got a turkey to locate. I used a owl call talking about a rush. I nearly jumped out of my cloths. That's the first turkey I ever located myself.

Return to “Big Bore”