choke for 870 & tss...

Talk about 10 12 & 16 gauge shotguns here.
Hooksnhorns

choke for 870 & tss...

Post by Hooksnhorns »

I'm gonna get into hand loading tss. I'm shooting an 870 sm with a 23" barrel. Gotta get a choke, as the one I have now won't work ( gobblin thunder 655). I was suggested to get an IC 665, which I'm sure is a good one. I just don't know if I can swing getting everything to get started, and a $70 choke. Is there another one that may not cost as much that y'all have had good results with in this setup? Or is the IC the best as far as numbers AND consistency? I've seen pattern pics of some chokes where patterns shifted poi. Thanks for any input. Oh, btw, I'm lookin for 250 - 270 in 10" at 40 with good 20" coverage, not just a hot core. Thanks again.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: choke for 870 & tss...

Post by Johndoe »

Rem Super full that came with the gun. I have had numerous guns shoot well with that choke. Don't spend a pile of money on a choke for TSS. You don't need it.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
Hooksnhorns

Post by Hooksnhorns »

My gun is a mutt, I bought it as a 28" barreled regular syn stock gun. Over the yrs, I've changed stocks, and barrel. It didn't come with a turkey choke. I may try to find one tho.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

My 1187 does great with a Rem SF HS .675 (50%/10 and 90%/20) if you can find one of those. A Rem XF .687 should do well also. Both of those chokes will be cheap if you can find them. Or a Carlson's extended choke in the .675-.690 range. No need to spend a lot on a choke for TSS.
kythunter

Post by kythunter »

Try factory full if you have one. Might as well try your KGT .655 you never know.
You definitely don't "need" a high dollar choke for TSS to pattern good. I'm running factory full in two of my 12ga and they pattern great (TSS 2oz #9).
If you have to buy a choke get one in .670 - .690. 680 range seem to do well.
That's the beauty of TSS it doesn't take much to get good results.
Hooksnhorns

Post by Hooksnhorns »

Doesn't the choke need to be rated for heavy or steel to shoot tss, or can a " lead only" choke shoot one?
kythunter

Post by kythunter »

You can shoot TSS thru "lead only" turkey chokes. I've run hevi shot & TSS with zero problems.

Most chokes are made of 17-4 stainless steel whether they're lead only or hevi shot approved.

It's probably a liability issue with choke manufactures who are afraid that tungsten will scratch a choke but it rarely happens if any.
trkykilr

Post by trkykilr »

I tested a lot of chokes in a similar gun. The Remington XF was the best. The Super Full was great, but just too tight for my liking. The XF gives me PLENTY enough of a killing pattern out to 60 with a little more wiggle room at 20.
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Southern Sportsman »

I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly

Return to “Big Bore”