10ga chokes for 2oz TSS loads

Talk about 10 12 & 16 gauge shotguns here.
UPEgger

10ga chokes for 2oz TSS loads

Post by UPEgger »

I have a Browning Gold(steel receiver) 10ga auto. For the last 25+ years I have been using 2 1/4oz of high antimony nickel plated BB. Choke is a Browning extra full TURKEY, which measures .725 at muzzle and .775 at the threaded end. Overall length is 3". As I do some predator calling in CA I need to make some changes. I should add, this load is for coyote and bobcat.

I have some #4 TSS shot coming. The planned load will be 2oz of #4 TSS. Load data will be out of the Ballistics Products manual for Hevi shot. Steel powder, etc.

THE QUESTION: Anyone using the 2oz, #4 size, TSS load in the 10ga? What degree of constriction have you found produces the tightest patterns @ 40 to 50 yds? Gotta start somewhere, and chokes cost money.

Thanks, Carl L.
watchemflop

Re: 10ga chokes for 2oz TSS loads

Post by watchemflop »

As far as the choke that should be fine. If you are buying shot from hal ( hawglips ) why are you not using the 2.5 oz load? BTW I have shot alot though my 10ga and a 12ga will out shot my 10 and it's lighter to carry. I'm shooting a .720 rhino but if I was buying for a good tight core I would buy a .710 Indian creek.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Carl

If it was me I would check will Hal or Shooter and there is someone else shooting a 10. Bet they already have a load. Hevi loads are a start but to be sure a trip to the labs would be needed for safety. Those guys are good Cats. They will help you.

JD

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

You can stop looking. The factory Browning X-full does great with TSS.
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Southern Sportsman »

Johndoe wrote:Carl

If it was me I would check will Hal or Shooter and there is someone else shooting a 10. Bet they already have a load. Hevi loads are a start but to be sure a trip to the labs would be needed for safety. Those guys are good Cats. They will help you.

JD
Rockhound shoots the 10 sometimes too I believe.

I've got nothing against anybody killing turkeys with any shotgun they want, but as far as a 12 gauge will kill one with TSS, it seems downright masochistic to tote a big 10 bore around all day.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
Rockhound

Post by Rockhound »

Southern Sportsman wrote:
Johndoe wrote:Carl

JD
Rockhound shoots the 10 sometimes too I believe.

I've got nothing against anybody killing turkeys with any shotgun they want, but as far as a 12 gauge will kill one with TSS, it seems downright masochistic to tote a big 10 bore around all day.
Im not sure what that word means but you shut your mouth :lol:

Yes the browning turkey choke is all you need.

Return to “Big Bore”