Overchoked I guess?

Talk about 10 12 & 16 gauge shotguns here.
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Overchoked I guess?

Post by Southern Sportsman »

I've decided to turkey hunt with my .870 this year, so I went to test so loads the other day. I'm shooting Hals 2 oz federal loads (straight 8 shot) which have done great in everything I've shot them through, with a Carlson's .675 non-ported choke.

First shot at 40 was REAL tight - probably too tight. 267 in the 10" with almost everything else between 10" and 15". The outside of the 20" was thin. It was an outstanding 15" circle though, so I was happy.

Dropped back to 60 just to see what it looked like. 86 in the 10" with noticeable holes throughout the 20" circle. Not what I was expecting.

So I moved back to 40 yards for another shot. 168 in the 10", 184 in the 20" and 87 pellets outside the circles scattered across a 4' paper With approximately 500 pellets in the payload, there were obviously 60-70 more that didn't even make the paper at 40 yards.

I guess I'm in the market for a more open choke as overchoking is the only thing I can think of that would cause this. I though it was strange, however, that the first shot was so good and the next two were sub-par. Maybe that's just another symptom of overchoking?

On a happier note, the .410 my father-in-law recently gave me shot great. It's a High Standard Flite King. 137 in the 10" at 40 yards. So I guess if I have to wait to find another choke, I'll have a suitable backup gun.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
blunderbuss

Re: Overchoked I guess?

Post by blunderbuss »

.410 :violent3: :thumbup:
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

I'd try one a little more open. I like something in the .690 range.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Southern Sportsman wrote:however, that the first shot was so good and the next two were sub-par. Maybe that's just another symptom of overchoking?
With factory loads its a sign.

Return to “Big Bore”